I built power pivot in dashboard, how to change connection string? RRS feed

• Question

• I built powerpivot in excel 2013 connected powerpivot window by store procedure to returns required fields. It was initially connected to development server(sql server) how to point this to testing and production server all the fields and tables with in proc are same one.

I found way to do in 

http://www.powerpivot-info.com/post/313-q-how-can-i-change-connection-information-server-name-db-name-etc-for-existing-powerpivot-table

But my case shows

powerpivot data

This connection is used by Excel for communication between the workbook and embedded PowerPivot data, and should not be manually edited or deleted.

And Edit connection properties there is no option to connect with another server?

Dataset is not by view and tables it returns from store procedure can anybody guide me on that how to change connection string in this scenario?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:24 PM

Answers

• I see, you want to change the connection of a PowerPivot table to a different PowerPivot data source?

I thought, you want to change the data source for PowerPivot data to a different SQL Server instead? This has to be done from PowerPivot Window, not from the Excel Workbook.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by MarkSubedi Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:39 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Not clear for me, may can you post a screenshot, please?

I created an example with system stored procedure sp_helpdb, it works and I can change the existing Connection without any issue.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:43 AM
  • 
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:54 AM
  • I see, you want to change the connection of a PowerPivot table to a different PowerPivot data source?

I thought, you want to change the data source for PowerPivot data to a different SQL Server instead? This has to be done from PowerPivot Window, not from the Excel Workbook.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by MarkSubedi Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:39 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 6:53 AM