508 compliance questions with check box and radio button list RRS feed

• Question

• User751785559 posted

Using VS 2015, our team developed a visual web part for SP 2010, so it's asp.net  framework 3.5, using a radio button list and a check box. We are only supporting and using the app in IE 11 so inconsistencies between browsers is not an issue. Some testers failed it for 508 compliance because the check box and radio buttons do not show focus when the user tabs onto them.   What is the down and dirtiest, easiest way to fix that?  I can't quite find what I am looking for in the questions. The radio list is in a table cell with the check box in the same cell.  Thanks in advance for your help, everyone.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 11:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• User-1716253493 posted

try set this

X-UA-Compatibility Meta Tag

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

try ie8, ie11 or another mode

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 1:30 AM
  • User751785559 posted

No effect.  For now, we have a div around each control with a tab index set to 0.  At least the user will see the div focus when they tab to it, although they will still have to tab a second time to actually be on the control itself and to be able to interact with it with the keyboard.  I was hoping to avoid that. Thanks anyway.

Saturday, June 9, 2018 3:01 AM
  • User36583972 posted

Hi jdangiel1,

.  At least the user will see the div focus when they tab to it, although they will still have to tab a second time to actually be on the control itself and to be able to interact with it with the keyboard.  I was hoping to avoid that. Thanks anyway.

Could you upload a sample project and tell us exactly where (on which code line) the exception occurs that we can reproduce your issue?

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

Monday, June 11, 2018 3:03 AM
  • User44076142 posted

Thanks for the reply.  There is no error being thrown.  The application is not breaking.  The problem is simply this - we have a visual web part built in .Net 3.5 for an application in SharePoint 2010.  The web part is laid out in tables, and in one table cell, there is a radio button list and a check box.  When the user tabs through the screen, other controls like buttons, labels, links, images, etc. show that they have the focus ( an outline appears around them).  This way the user knows where they are on the screen and that they are on the control.  When the user tabs onto the radio button list or onto the check box, they do not show that they have focus.  We just want to know how to do that.  Currently. we have div around each control with a tab index, and when the user tabs onto the div, it shows that it has focus, but a second tab is needed to get onto the control itself.  Can this maybe be done with JavaScript?  If so, do you have an example?

Thanks again

Monday, June 11, 2018 3:46 AM