none
Visual studio 2008 crash on debug

Question

• Is it a known issue that visual 2008 application debugging is not supported for visual 2015 built DLLs?

Example: I have vs2008 project. It links with a DLL built in VS2015. If I just launch debug or release without debugging, it works. If I try to debug, vs2008 crashes. Using LoadLibrary behaves the same way.

I just want to know it is a known limitation.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Ramesh,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Is the Dll from VS2015 itself package or you wrote it in VS 2015?

If you wrote it yourself, you may try to write it in VS 2008 as well.

If the dll belongs to VS2015, I think you could check whether it could be compiling or debugging on the lower .Net Framework like 3.5 version in VS2015, if it works, you could try it in VS2008 by using the same .NET Framework version 3.5.

As we’ve known, Visual Studio is backward compatible, the lower version dll may work fine in the higher one. The dll here is built in VS2015 which is not designed for VS2008, and I think this is the main reason that it cannot work well and cause VS crash.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:27 AM
  • Thanks Fletch.

It is a 3rd party SDK DLL built in VS2015, and I can't really change anything in this DLL.  But issue happens with any VS2015 DLL, like a default C++ Win32 DLL type. It could be that .Net framework version, and I'll try that. As mentioned, if I just launch without debugging, either debug or release version, it works fine.  Problem is only when I actually debug using VS2008 IDE the debug version.

So sound like debugging of VS2015 binaries not supported in VS2008, could be that .Net version or other reasons. I just wanted to be sure it is a known limitation vs. anything missing on my end. Of course, ideally, I should consider upgrading my app to higher IDE, and may just end up doing this.

Ramesh

Monday, February 27, 2017 12:49 PM
  • Hi Ramesh,

I don’t think anything is missing here, it’s more like a limitation.

In general, we don’t mix dlls compiled with different version of the CRT in one program, because it could cause some unexpected errors.

A related problem is an error in the output window during debugging.

And the documentation at MSDN has mentioned those:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235460(v=vs.140).aspx

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:52 PM