When will the December CTP be available? RRS feed

• Question

• The lack of compatibility with Visual Studio 2008 RTM is a real headache.  When will we see a version that will fix this?
    Friday, December 14, 2007 11:29 AM

All replies

• I couldn't agree more, why would anyone release an incompatible CTP after the VS 2008 RTM'd is beyond me. Having to work with reporting services and not being able to load BI related projects into VS2008 is just crazy, until this is resolved, I can't port my projects to VS2008 (more like VS 2007 1/2 if you ask me).... And what is it with SQL 2008 Reporting services service running a rogue IIS instance, and not providing an admin snap-in for it... all this lack of synchronization tells me that VS 2008 will not really be ready until SQL 2008 ships.... sad.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 5:57 PM
  • I believe the next ctp will support 2008.  I would imagine there is considerable work to integrate with vs 2008 which wasn't possible by the time the ctp was to be released.  After working with the sql 2005 beta which was built on visual studio 2005 beta I don't mind waiting around for a stable port.  Probably helps to keep the visual studio bugs out of the sql tracker as well.

Reporting services now uses http.sys not a full blown version of iis so the only management console it needs is the reporting services configuration manager and the access controls in the web page.  It's pretty much the same interface that the native web services in sql work with.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Comparing apples to oranges you are my young Padawan... SQL 2005 beta and VS 2005 beta versus a VS 2008 RTM and a SQL 2008 CTP, not the same thing. Of course there was not enough time, hence is not there. You are missing the point. Companies that wait for RTM on a product to develop against it, and perhaps have their own release cycle hinge on this very thing can't do that today with VS 2008 if they are implementing BI type of projects in addition to the rest of the solution.

Clearly you have never have to deploy Reporting Services in an Intranet/Extranet type scenario where having access to IIS security (ACLs) and application pooling granularity to set things just right is down-right essential. Potentially an IT administrator could attempt to set-up a second website running under the designated report server portal under the same port 80 via IIS and potentially create a conflict. Throw SharePoint integration and firewall issues… there is no end, without a  Reporting-Services Security snap-in built into the MMC (like SQL 2005-2008 has done), I may as well run MSRS via Cassini Web Server (which they don't recommend ). A little bird told me a security snap-in is on the works, but as a frequent early adopter, I feel this was a very costly slip, hence the original question of this post, when is the next CTP comming up so we can really work on it.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:47 PM
  • My reply was more to the notion of why in the world would they release it without vs 2008 rtm support as you originally asked.  If your question was when was the next ctp coming then don't complain about why it wasn't done with this ctp when you already know the answer.  That goes for the whole reporting services thing as well, as it is not a rogue iis instance, and you didn't say anything about the security management.  I have deployed RS on an enterprise level before and security management is by far my biggest complaint.  The point was it is not iis.

Monday, December 17, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Don’t confuse validating the reason for the request  for a December CTP ASAP which contains these essential compatibility issues fixed, with complaining. The issues still stand, and the reason behind this forum sole existence is just that,  for people like us to bring those to light, and not for those to provide excuses on why things “kind-of-work” the way they do as if we are just to shrug and say OK.

Monday, December 17, 2007 9:46 PM