none
Open XML for excel file with .xlsm extension RRS feed

• Question

• There is an application for data audit. It audits the data of excel book (it contains the macro) with .xlsm extension. It uses the Interop.Excel dll which talks to Excel. The machine should have MS Office Excel installed to work with interop.exel dll.

But now my requirment is that i need to run my application on another machine which has not MS Office Excel installed. I figouted out after some googling that we can use Open XML for reading or writing excel file. But i have no idea whether Open xml will work with .xlsm (Excel file with macro) file or not. I need to run macro from the code.

Please help me.
    Friday, December 8, 2017 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hello Dipak Ray,

As far as I know, we could not run Excel macro if we do not have Excel Installed. We could use Open XML SDK to operate underlying Open XML schema elements to edit a Excel Workbook file. However, we could not use Open XML SDK to run the macro in the workbook.

What's the macro function and Why  you need run it when Excel is not installed? Could it be convert to an VB.net application?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dipak Ray Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:05 AM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 7:04 AM