none
Working with Access 32 bit application using Access runtime 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We have got an Access Database application which was developed using the 32-bit version of full product (Microsoft Access 2013/2016). The application is shared among the users they all collaborate. 

Lately, we started noticing issues. Some of the users do not have the full version of the Access. They uses Access Runtime. 

I noticed that users who has got Access runtime 64 bit are not able to run the application. It fails with an query error, like below.

But, if we run it using Access runtime 32-bit, the application just runs fine.

Is this by design? or has it got any workaround / solution to fix this once and for all.

Because, some of the users has got Office 2013 professional which does not have the full blown Access application. they need to get runtime. Some of them has already got Office 2013 64 bit, and if I am to install the runtime 32 bit, i will have to remove office 2013 64 bit and install 32 bit Office and 32 bit runtime.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you get the error when executing a query? Would you get error when using 64bit of full Office?

If you create similar db in 64bit and run same query, would you get any error?

If you would get error in 64bit Office using a new created db, please share your table and sql here, we could test if the issue could be reproduced in our test machines.

If you would not get error when using new created db in Office 64bit, I think another part causes the error. Please comment out code behind or delete tables/queries one by one to narrow down the issue.

Please note if you are using external functions that are embedded in DLLs, we need to add PtrSafe when declaring. Please visit  Compatibility Between the 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Office 2010 for detail information.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Hi there,

I did try to run the query on my computer. I had 32 bit Access application installed. It was fine. Do you know whether there is a dependency on what architecture the application is built on? Like is it possible to run an access database application created in 32-bit with a 64-bit runtime?

I will try to open that database in a 64-bit Access and save as - another name, try to open using 64 bit runtime.. I will update the result soon

Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:36 AM
  • Are you by any chance using 32-bit only libraries in your Access app? It could be that there is a missing or unsupported library reference when running 64-bit and that can cause issues with VBA functions such as Date.

I wouldn't normally expect an issue between 32-bit and 64-bit Access unless you are using a library that is only supported under the 32-bit platform.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Take a look at http://www.devhut.net/2017/04/13/access-x32-vs-x64-compatibility/ which highlights the various issues that you'll encounter between 32 and 64 bit applications.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:16 PM