none
[MS-OXCRPC] rgwBestVersion suggestion RRS feed

• General discussion

• [MS-OXCRPC] — v20101026 "Wire Format Protocol Specification" Section 3.1.4.11 "EcDoConnectEx (opnum 10)" contains this:

rgwBestVersion: The server returns the minimum client protocol version the server supports. This
    information is useful if the EcDoConnectEx call fails with return code ecVersionMismatch. On
    success, the server returns the value passed in rgwClientVersion by the client. The server cannot
    perform any client protocol version negotiation. The server can either return the minimum client
    protocol version required to access the server and fail the call with ecVersionMismatch, or the
    server can allow the client and return the value passed by the client in rgwClientVersion. It is up
    to the server implementation to set the minimum client protocol version that is supported by the
    server. For details about how version numbers are interpreted from the wire data, see section 3.1.9.

I think that is a bit confusing, mainly because of the first sentence.

I'd suggest deleting the first sentence, and re-ordering the rest of the paragraph to make it clearer that the version that is returned is usually the rgwClientVersion passed in by the client, unless that client version is too low, in which case it is the minimum version that the servers supports.

[Our implementation originally had a problem where we always returned the same version, since that was the lowest version we'd seen, and we knew we supported it. That met the first sentence, but (obviously, in hindsight) didn't meet the "The server can either return the minimum client protocol version required to access the server and fail the call with ecVersionMismatch, or the server can allow the client and return the value passed by the client in rgwClientVersion." part].

[This is just a suggestion for improvement in a future version, at very low priority]

Brad

Monday, February 14, 2011 11:46 PM

All replies

• Brad,

Thank you for passing this feedback to us regarding MS-OXCRPC. One of our engineers will take care of this and follow up with you.

Thanks,

Edgar

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:15 AM
  • Hi Brad, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Brad, thank you for your input. We will share your suggestion with the documentation team who will consider it for a future release of the documentation.
    Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:39 PM