can't open localhost on firefox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    When I open http://localhost:50000/ in firefox, I always get a prompt window asking me for a username and a password, and I really don't know what that means...
    But It works on IE and with IE tab in firefox

Any suggestions?
    I think I also had this problem in IE the first times I used it, and now I'm just wondering if it is actually possible to open localhost in firefox.

Thanks in advance,
    Alberto
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:20 AM

Answers

• There is no danger as long as the DSS node is running on a test/dev system and you know the services on the node are from a trusted party. However, in a production environment you need to make sure only authorized users/services have access to the DSS node.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:58 AM

All replies

• your firefox must be started with a different user context, than the command window that started dss. To check if this is the case you can disable Dss security (see the user guide on how to do disable security, you can simply comment out  a line in dsshost.exe.config)
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:23 AM
  • Thanks for you prompt response George.
    It works well (it's just a bit more fuzzy on firefox).

But what does Dss security ensure? What's the danger of disactivating it?
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:29 AM
  • There is no danger as long as the DSS node is running on a test/dev system and you know the services on the node are from a trusted party. However, in a production environment you need to make sure only authorized users/services have access to the DSS node.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:58 AM