display brightness - Unable to adjust brightness on my Samsung np-rv511

Question

• I have a smasung np-rv511 and after installing Windows 8,  none of my function hot keys work anymore except for audio. I've gotten with samsung and was given the "easy display manager" to install back onto my computer. The hot keys now work for getting to my wifi, turning the backlight on and off, but I still can not change the brightness of my screen. Normally I wouldn't be as frustrated as I am but when I unplug my charger, the screen dims almost completely and you can barely see anything.

Anyone have any advice on how to go in and fix this?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:10 PM

Answers

• J.Manley,

You might need to update your video drivers to change the brightness settings.  You can see if Windows Updates have it or go to Samsung website (link below) and install it.  You might have to use Compatibility mode?  Here are the steps below.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Compatibility mode

1. Right click on setup file
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Click on Compatibility tab
    4. Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    5. Select Windows 7
    6. Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level 
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:28 PM
    Answerer
  • its a must to use the drivers from Samsung site as (regardless from version) it has some specific settings which are missing from the wddm drivers.

if you install the Samsung one, you will get your function keys working.

in many cases all of the function keys will work but (maybe) you will have problems with the brightness. (its there, but "frozen)

in that case go to control panel / device manager --> and there disable and re-enable the display adapter. that solves the problem

Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:46 AM

All replies

• You should be able to change the Power Options of the notebook inside the Control Panel.

If you go to Start > Control Panel > More Settings, it will load the Desktop version of Control Panel.

Once there, navigate to Hardware and Sound > Power Options and you should see a list of power plans that the OS automatically has preset.  Decide whichever one you would like to use (the "Balanced" power plan should be the default) and click on the "Change plan settings" link to the right of the power plan you choose.

You should then see a settings menu for the power plan, which has two columns with settings to change: one for "On battery" and the other for "Plugged in".  There, you can adjust the brightness for your screen for either situation.

Hope this helps.  Let us know.    ^_^

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:52 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm able to get to the screen you referenced me too, however, the only option I have to change is how long untill the display is turned off. If I go into advanced setting, again, the only option I have for display is how long untill the display is turned off.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:05 PM
  • J.Manley,

You might need to update your video drivers to change the brightness settings.  You can see if Windows Updates have it or go to Samsung website (link below) and install it.  You might have to use Compatibility mode?  Here are the steps below.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Compatibility mode

1. Right click on setup file
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Click on Compatibility tab
    4. Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    5. Select Windows 7
    6. Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level 
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:28 PM
    Answerer
  • i found nothing on windows updates, but found 2 graphic drivers on samsung. Would that be the same thing?
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:41 PM
  • J.Manley,

Yes.  Just download the driver from Samsung site.  Download 64 bit version if you installed Windows Developer Preview 64 bit otherwise get 32 bit version.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:47 PM
    Answerer
  • its a must to use the drivers from Samsung site as (regardless from version) it has some specific settings which are missing from the wddm drivers.

if you install the Samsung one, you will get your function keys working.

in many cases all of the function keys will work but (maybe) you will have problems with the brightness. (its there, but "frozen)

in that case go to control panel / device manager --> and there disable and re-enable the display adapter. that solves the problem

Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Not sure if you have already tried this, but go to Settings Charm  by pressing Windows Key + I. You will have on the lower right side an option
    to change the brightness of the screen.
    The icon looks like a Sun. Press to change the brightness.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Not sure if you have already tried this, but go to Settings Charm  by pressing Windows Key + I. You will have on the lower right side an option
    to change the brightness of the screen.
    The icon looks like a Sun. Press to change the brightness.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    he is probably not able to do it as I think when he opens the panel the icon will not be clickable.. just "greyed out"..
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:39 PM