Assigning and restricting access to applications to users on the system RRS feed

• Question

• I have quite a few image processing applications and Visual Studio on Windows 7 Ultimate.  Is it poassible to allow User X to access only the image processing applications and User Y to access the development tools.  The Windows 7 user account creation only allow "Administrator" and "Standard" types.  It does not give role based account creation.

Is there anyway I can implement the security I have mentioned above?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is nor direct way of doing this in Windows through a role based user creation.

But an indirect way of achieving the same would be explicitly deny access to that user on the application folder. Ex: Deny access to the Image Processing application folder (In program files) for the user Y and vice versa deny access to user X on the development tools folder. Explicit deny overrides the default "Full Control" and would take precedence.

Note: This is feasible only when you have a limited number of applications or users, otherwise it gets cumbersome to do it manually for a large number of users or applications.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:54 AM