none
Virtual cd drive RRS feed

• Question

• Lately I've been interested in manipulating how Windows represents BD/DVD/CD drives. I'd like to be able to assign a theoretical "virtual drive" a drive letter,

determine whether it's BD-ROM, DVD, CD-RW, etc.

Is there a way to facilitate this type of functionality via a driver, with WDK? Where do I start?

I'm actually rather new to driver development, but this grabs my attention and hopefully I can make the most of the WDK.

Thanks for any insight on this!

Sunday, September 24, 2017 9:50 AM

All replies

• Storage stack drivers aren't the hardest type of driver to write (audio takes that dubious honor), but they aren't the easiest, either. I'd recommend starting with the RAMDISK driver in the WDK, because it doesn't require hardware. You're going to need to spend some quality time with the WDK docs (start with storage miniport drivers, then INF files) and the WinDBG docs. Download the WDK samples, and install the WDK, build the RAMDISK driver, install the RAMDISK driver on a test machine (a VM will work fine), set breakpoints on the entry points using WinDBG, and follow the code flow.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:41 PM