Run Code in Visual Express 2012 for Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to programming.  I am trying to get my 'Hello World' program to work.  When I open a new blank project, there is 108 lines of pre-written code in it.  When I go to run my code, the gray window opens up, but the "Hello world!" words do not show up.  I have tried deleting all the pre-written code and I get all sorts of error messages.  I cannot figure out where to insert my code so that it actually runs.  I am using an online tutorial to learn c++; it is very well reviewed by professional programmers so I know that it is not incorrect.  I am using the Win32 like he says, but he makes it look like there is supposed to only be three lines of code pre-written. Please help.   I create my project by going File: New Project: Visual C++: Windows Store: Blank App(XAML); the reason I go to the Windows Store instead of the Win32 like the book says is because there is nothing else but Windows Store in the Visual C++ file.  I cannot find a place to open it through Win32 although a Microsoft webpage for Visual Express 2012 that I found said it should be there.  Also, there is no _tmain() like the book says there should be. Also, everywhere I read makes it sound as if there should only be three line of pre-written code.  Please help.
    • Edited by Hosch027 Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:41 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 10:59 PM

Answers

• I am new to programming. I am trying to get my 'Hello World' program to work.
    Please do not start a new thread on the same subject.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Hosch027 Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:35 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 12:35 PM

All replies

• I am new to programming. I am trying to get my 'Hello World' program to work.
    Please do not start a new thread on the same subject.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Hosch027 Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:35 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 12:35 PM
  • I'm sorry.  Thank you for your help.
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:39 PM