Binding to an own attached property RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have a litte problem binding to an attached property declared in my user control.

To use an attached property as the path of a binding i have to write something like

Code Snippet
    Text="{Binding Path=(DockPanel.Dock) ...}"

After starting the application i can see the text "Left", since the property for the control is set to "Left".

If i now use my own attached property

Code Snippet
    Text="{Binding Path=(local:DemoControl.DemoProperty) ...}"

i get an binding path error showing me, that he can't find the property.

I have used snoop to ensure, that the property is registered. I also can use this property in my style and trigger. Therefore i think the property itself is correct.

Is there another syntax for self declared attached properties?

Thanks for any hints

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hello,

thanks for your response.

Yes my code is quite similar. But i found the problem with the help of your code.

I usually use the binding syntax for lazy people. As far as i know it is possible to omit the name of the path parameter in the binding markup.

Code Snippet

<TextBlock Text="{Binding ActualWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>
     <TextBlock Text="{Binding Path=ActualWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>

Both TextBlock's have the same text.

The same is true for attached properties. 

Code Snippet

<TextBlock DockPanel.Dock="Right" Text="{Binding (DockPanel.Dock), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>
     <TextBlock DockPanel.Dock="Right" Text="{Binding Path=(DockPanel.Dock), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>

Again, both TextBlocks have the same text.

But if i use an attached property, declared in my own namespace i have to write

Code Snippet

<TextBlock local:DemoControl.DemoProperty="true" Text="{Binding Path=(local:DemoControl.DemoProperty), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>

If i just use the short version (without the name of the path parameter)

Code Snippet

<TextBlock local:DemoControl.DemoProperty="true" Text="{Binding (local:DemoControl.DemoProperty), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>

i get a binding error ['(localBig SmileemoControl.DemoProperty)' property not found on 'object' ''TextBlock']. But the property is attached to this TextBlock. I can verify that with snoop.

But that is not enough. If i use two TextBlock's

Code Snippet
    <TextBlock local:DemoControl.DemoProperty="true" Text="{Binding Path=(local:DemoControl.DemoProperty), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>
    <TextBlock local:DemoControl.DemoProperty="true" Text="{Binding (local:DemoControl.DemoProperty), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>

i get no error for the second TextBlock and both have the same text.

Thats a little bit strange, but it works and that is important.

Thanks

Maik

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:50 AM

All replies

• Has nobody noticed this before?
    Monday, June 25, 2007 3:06 PM
  • I was able to get this to work with this property definition:

Code Snippet

public class DemoControl : Control

{

public static int GetDemoProperty(DependencyObject obj)

{

return (int)obj.GetValue(DemoPropertyProperty);

}

public static void SetDemoProperty(DependencyObject obj, int value)

{

obj.SetValue(DemoPropertyProperty, value);

}

public static readonly DependencyProperty DemoPropertyProperty =

DependencyProperty.RegisterAttached("DemoProperty",

typeof(int),

typeof(DemoControl) );

}

and this markup:

Code Snippet

<TextBlock

Name='TextBlock1'

local:DemoControl.DemoProperty='1'

Text='{Binding ElementName=TextBlock1,

Path=(local:DemoControl.DemoProperty) }' />

Does yours look similar?

Monday, June 25, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Hello,

thanks for your response.

Yes my code is quite similar. But i found the problem with the help of your code.

I usually use the binding syntax for lazy people. As far as i know it is possible to omit the name of the path parameter in the binding markup.

Code Snippet

<TextBlock Text="{Binding ActualWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>
     <TextBlock Text="{Binding Path=ActualWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>

Both TextBlock's have the same text.

The same is true for attached properties. 

Code Snippet

<TextBlock DockPanel.Dock="Right" Text="{Binding (DockPanel.Dock), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>
     <TextBlock DockPanel.Dock="Right" Text="{Binding Path=(DockPanel.Dock), RelativeSource={RelativeSource Self}}"/>

Again, both TextBlocks have the same text.

But if i use an attached property, declared in my own namespace i have to write

Code Snippet

If i just use the short version (without the name of the path parameter)

Code Snippet

i get a binding error ['(localBig SmileemoControl.DemoProperty)' property not found on 'object' ''TextBlock']. But the property is attached to this TextBlock. I can verify that with snoop.

But that is not enough. If i use two TextBlock's

Code Snippet

i get no error for the second TextBlock and both have the same text.

Thats a little bit strange, but it works and that is important.

Thanks

Maik

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:50 AM
  • Thanks for reporting this issue.

A workaround that should work for this...make sure that you use "local:" somewhere in a tag name or setting a property.  (not just inside of some value that gets typeconverted).

PropertyPath uses IXamlTypeResolver...which appears to be missing namespaces that weren't considered used in the xaml file...

Thanks, Rob

Rob Relyea | Program Manager, WPF & Xaml Language Team

robrelyea.com | /blog | /wpf | /xaml

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:53 AM