Can't attach managed disk to VM from Portal (and can't update it either) RRS feed

• Question

• I used portal to create a new managed disk (Standard SSD, 128gb) and then tried to attach it to an existing VM.

I can see the newly created disk from the drop down (VM -> Disks -> Add data disk), but when I hit 'Save', I got an error 'Failed to update disks for the virtual machine 'my-server'. Error: error

I then tried to update disk type (say from Standard SSD to Premium SSD) and disk size from the disk's Configuration, and I also got an error when I hit 'Save'..  Failed to update disk 'my-disk'. Error: error 

I also tried to update disk type for a disk that's created long time ago and got the same error.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here, much appreciated. 

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:09 AM

Answers

• And just a quick update, attaching the disk through CLI (az vm disk attach) works just fine..
    • Marked as answer by Magicpork Tuesday, February 26, 2019 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:45 AM

All replies

• Can you share the error with details. 

Thanks

Naveen Thummalapenta

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:19 AM
  • Unfortunately the portal didn't give me any detailed error..  All it said was (literally)

'Failed to update disks for the virtual machine 'my-server'. Error: error

'Failed to update disk 'my-disk'. Error: error

Is there a place I can look up for errors with details?

• Edited by Magicpork Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:32 AM
  • And just a quick update, attaching the disk through CLI (az vm disk attach) works just fine..
    • Marked as answer by Magicpork Tuesday, February 26, 2019 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:45 AM
  • @Magicpork, Glad to know that your issue has resolved and thanks for sharing the solution, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. Do let us know if you need any further assistance on this.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 12:38 PM