PerfView 1.2.2.0 - ASP.NET provider activated but ASP.NET Tracing not installed

Question

• Hi,

Using the newest version of PerfView, ASP.NET Tracing is failing, however in the older version I've been using (1.0.0.0) it works fine

I looked at the help (in both versions) and it explains how to enable ASP.NET tracing (same text) but this was never a requirement before.

I hope enabling like this is not required going forward to do a simple trace, I'm sure many companies like ours do not allow on the fly changes like this to thier servers. 

From 1.2.2.0 I'm getting the following error:

Enabling Provider ASP.NET Level Verbose Keywords = 0xfffffffffffffffd Options = None Guid = aff081fe-0247-4275-9c4e-021f3dc1da35
    ASP.NET provider activated but ASP.NET Tracing not installed.
        No ASP.NET events may be created.
        See 'ASP.NET events' in help for details.

If i switch to back to the older version on the same machine it traces fine. 

From log using 1.0.0.0:

Enabling Provider PerfViewLogger Level Verbose Keywords = 0xffffffffffffffff Options = None Guid = a8a71ac1-040f-54a2-07ca-00a89b5ab761
    Turning on more CLR GC, JScript and ASP.NET Events.
    Enabling Provider ASP.NET Level Verbose Keywords = 0xfffffffffffffffd Options = None Guid = aff081fe-0247-4275-9c4e-021f3dc1da35
    Enabling Provider Microsoft-PerfTrack-IEFRAME Level Verbose Keywords = 0xffffffffffffffff

Command being run

PerfView.exe collect /NoNGenRundown /nogui /accepteula

Thanks!

Friday, November 30, 2012 11:59 PM

All replies

• Hi BMerluzzi,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

I am trying to involve some other one into this case, please wait it patiently.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 03, 2012 7:33 AM
  • How exactly is the new version failing? If you are referring to the text

ASP.NET provider activated but ASP.NET Tracing not installed.

No ASP.NET events may be created.

See 'ASP.NET events' in help for details.

This is not actually a failure of perfview.  The new version is simply trying to be helpful and noticing that looks like your machine was not installed with the Tracing feature that you would want if you want ASP.NET events. It does not actually change the behavior of perfView otherwise. 

Do you get ASP.NET events? If you are getting ASP.nET events but this warning is in the log, that is interesting. Lemme know.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:50 AM