Modifying Web Access pages RRS feed

• Question

• I want to simplify the pages that a "Work Item Only" user sees, so that they can only enter a title, description and maybe some screen shots, etc. The "full" user should see all the fields. The "New" work item would then be triaged by a developer, who would set other fields, such as Assigned To, Area, Iteration, etc.

Is this possible? Is there any documentation around how to do this?

Also, I want to add a new field to the Bug work item type. If I use the Power Tools to do this, will the field be automatically displayed in the Web Access pages? Or do I have to edit the pages to show the new field?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Monday, August 16, 2010 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What you have done for making the field as Read-Only is correct.

I don't think that it is possible to modify the layout to hide and show some fields on Layout depending upon user permissions.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jehan.

You may have to create a your own page which only show specific fields and use TFS API to add the workitem.

Best regards,
    Ruiz
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have to modify the Work Item Type and need to make the required fields as Read-Only to the "Work Item Only" users .

If you modify the Bug Work Item Type by adding a new field, you will be able to see this field automatically in Web Access.

Web Access is a just a Web View to see the Artifacts stored in TFS.

You can check this documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms195025%28v=VS.80%29.aspx

Monday, August 16, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I made the fields read-only by adding <READONLY for="[TEAM FOUNDATION]\Work Item Only View Users" /> to the work item type definition. Is this the correct way to do it?

It seems to have the effect that the field is disabled when creating a new work item, but I was hoping to find a way of removing the field from the form altogether for "Work Item Only" users. Is this possible?

I saw that the XML for the work item type has a FORM/Layout section, but there does not seem to be a way to control the visibility of form elements for specified groups/users.

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Hi,

What you have done for making the field as Read-Only is correct.

I don't think that it is possible to modify the layout to hide and show some fields on Layout depending upon user permissions.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jehan.

You may have to create a your own page which only show specific fields and use TFS API to add the workitem.

Best regards,
    Ruiz
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:25 AM