Debugging tip if IE is not your default browser RRS feed

• Question

• This one had me running around for a while, so here is a tip if IE is not your default browser.

In my case Firefox was set as my default browser and whenever I try to set my LS application type as a Web application type and press [Run] it would launch Firefox and prompt me for an authentication username and password, irrespective of the settings under Access Control. Of course, I did not know what the username and password should be as this was a brand new LS app.

Short story is that it looks like you have to debug using IE. To make that easy I downloaded the WoVS Default Browser Switcher extension for Visual Studio which puts a toolbar up where you can select the default browser to use. Download form here: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bb424812-f742-41ef-974a-cdac607df921/

Using IE as the browser works fine and it does not prompt with the authentication dialog.

ps. I use VS.NET 2010 Ultimate with LS

Hope this helps someone

Xander

Friday, March 18, 2011 1:41 AM

Answers

• For anyone who really wants to debug LS in Firefox, the following might be of help.

To prevent Firefox showing you the authentication dialog, run the following steps. (I'm on  a domain and not sure if it works for 'workgroup' machines)

1. In the Firefox address bar, type in about:config
    2. Accept the warning that appears
    3. In the filter box, type in network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris
    4. Double click on the row that is found
    5. Enter the string value http://localhost
    6. Restart Firefox

To debug any client side code after pressing [run], you need to manually attach to the process by going into Visual Studio Tools>Attach to Process and select the plugin-container.exe (type Silverlight) process.

• Proposed as answer by Gberg Monday, March 28, 2011 12:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by novascape Monday, March 28, 2011 12:40 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 10:17 AM

All replies

• Thanks Xander,

We'll do some investigation on this.  We do know that there is an issue right now where you are prompted for your windows credentials if the machine is not joined to a domain and this sounds like it may be related.

I'll get back to you when I have more information

John Hart

John Hart (Microsoft)
    Friday, March 18, 2011 4:16 AM
  • For anyone who really wants to debug LS in Firefox, the following might be of help.

To prevent Firefox showing you the authentication dialog, run the following steps. (I'm on  a domain and not sure if it works for 'workgroup' machines)

1. In the Firefox address bar, type in about:config
    2. Accept the warning that appears
    3. In the filter box, type in network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris
    4. Double click on the row that is found
    5. Enter the string value http://localhost
    6. Restart Firefox

To debug any client side code after pressing [run], you need to manually attach to the process by going into Visual Studio Tools>Attach to Process and select the plugin-container.exe (type Silverlight) process.

• Proposed as answer by Gberg Monday, March 28, 2011 12:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by novascape Monday, March 28, 2011 12:40 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Thanks Tim, what you suggested works great on both domain and workgroup machines. 

If you are on a domain, this prompt is just asking for your domain credential to access the web site, so you could also just type in your username and password into the dialog and will work also.

Please let me know if you see that using a desktop client, I can only reproduce this with a web client type(Solution Explorer->Properties->Applicaiton Type->Client)

-Ed Smith (Visual Studio LightSwitch team)

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I can confirm that my environment is Win7 64bit and *no domain* and it only happens with a web client.
    Regards

Xander
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Thanks..this helped!
    Monday, March 28, 2011 12:15 AM