Power Pivot cannot save file "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hope that someone can help me with my problem to save a workbook. Getting the following error-message:

64bit

Office 2010

Power Pivot Tables are fed by Power Query queries.

Thank you very much,

Imke

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:58 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• Hi Imke,

Based on my research, the cause of the issue might be one of the following:

1. You set the default file format to save the Excel workbook to .xls.
      If this is the case, try set it to .xlsx instead. To do so, go to Excel Options -> Save -> Save files in this format, select Excel Workbook (*.xlsx), and click OK.
    2. The PowerPivot data file is corrupt. This might occurs because of a lot of reasons, for example, power failure, or the workbook isn't closed correctly, etc.
      In this case, to solve the issue, try to update/refresh the data source.
      If that doesn't work, try to clear the existing temp file, which by default is located at
      C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp
      Delete the folder named Vertipaq (or the name started with Vertipaq_)
    3. The PowerPivot add-in you use is not up-to-date. And your PowerPivot table contains calculated columns that are based on other calculated columns, for example:
      [Calc Col A] = [Col 1] + [Col 2]
      [Calc Col B] = [Col 3] + [Col 4]
      [Calc Col C] = [Calc Col A] + [Calc Col B]

In this case, to solve this issue, try update the PowerPivot add-in to the latest version.
      Or, as a workaround, try to replace the calculated column by using calculated members instead, for example:
      [Calc Col C] = [Col 1] + [Col 2] + [Col 3] + [Col 4]
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:19 AM

All replies

• This might be another hint: When trying to create a Pivot table from the model this error message is thrown:

Will start to rebuild the file from scratch but would very much appreciate any hints in order to avoid running into the same problem again.

Thank you,

Imke

Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:30 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Imke,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 7:53 AM
  • Hi Imke,

Based on my research, the cause of the issue might be one of the following:

1. You set the default file format to save the Excel workbook to .xls.
      If this is the case, try set it to .xlsx instead. To do so, go to Excel Options -> Save -> Save files in this format, select Excel Workbook (*.xlsx), and click OK.
    2. The PowerPivot data file is corrupt. This might occurs because of a lot of reasons, for example, power failure, or the workbook isn't closed correctly, etc.
      In this case, to solve the issue, try to update/refresh the data source.
      If that doesn't work, try to clear the existing temp file, which by default is located at
      C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp
      Delete the folder named Vertipaq (or the name started with Vertipaq_)
    3. The PowerPivot add-in you use is not up-to-date. And your PowerPivot table contains calculated columns that are based on other calculated columns, for example:
      [Calc Col A] = [Col 1] + [Col 2]
      [Calc Col B] = [Col 3] + [Col 4]
      [Calc Col C] = [Calc Col A] + [Calc Col B]

In this case, to solve this issue, try update the PowerPivot add-in to the latest version.
      Or, as a workaround, try to replace the calculated column by using calculated members instead, for example:
      [Calc Col C] = [Col 1] + [Col 2] + [Col 3] + [Col 4]
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:19 AM