How to set refresh point?

Question

• During the keynote I heard that it is able via command line to set refresh point.

1. How do I do this?

2. Why is Windows asking me about additional media in order to do this?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hello, 

1. You can run “recimg.exe -CreateImage C:\RecoveryImage” from an elevated command prompt. It will store the image under C:\RecoveryImage (or wherever you specify)
    2. Both the Refresh and Reset functionalities rely on PC makers preloading a recovery image on the drive. For the Windows Developer Preview, installation media is needed to perform Refresh and Reset (unless you use the command line tool to create your own Refresh image) 

While I was testing this utility I discovered it was necessary to create the destination folder before running the tool.

Let us know if there are any additional questions.

Thanks!

Michael
    • Marked as answer by Luboš1 Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:27 PM
    Owner

All replies

• it's a developer build, many and most consumer featuers are not included in it by default.  You might have to wait for the Beta release before this kind of functionality is added.
    • Proposed as answer by Dyskmasterj Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hello, 

1. You can run “recimg.exe -CreateImage C:\RecoveryImage” from an elevated command prompt. It will store the image under C:\RecoveryImage (or wherever you specify)
    2. Both the Refresh and Reset functionalities rely on PC makers preloading a recovery image on the drive. For the Windows Developer Preview, installation media is needed to perform Refresh and Reset (unless you use the command line tool to create your own Refresh image) 

While I was testing this utility I discovered it was necessary to create the destination folder before running the tool.

Let us know if there are any additional questions.

Thanks!

Michael
    • Marked as answer by Luboš1 Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:27 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you. I tried to use command prompt, but if failed with Hresult 0x80070003. I will wait for beta. I just wanted to try it.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:32 AM
  • The error 0x80070003 basically means 'Directory not found'.

Did you create the destination folder before running the command?

Thanks

Michael
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:17 PM
    Owner
  • The error 0x80070003 basically means 'Directory not found'.

Did you create the destination folder before running the command?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

I am trying but WIM_CAPTURE_PHASE seems to take a lot of time (still in 0%), is it normal?

And, what does that Refresh do? Capture a install.wim imagen from the current OS and Apply that image?

Thanks!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Hi Sergio,

Yes some of the phases will take longer than the others - of course this all depends on whats installed on the machine etc...

To your second question - yes it'll capture the Install.Wim and apply that image when you use the Refresh feature.

Thanks!

Michael
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:54 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Sergio,

Yes some of the phases will take longer than the others - of course this all depends on whats installed on the machine etc...

To your second question - yes it'll capture the Install.Wim and apply that image when you use the Refresh feature.

Thanks!

Michael

And what about Reset feature? How can I create a point for Reset? I had understood when I run the command I was going to create a Reset point...

Can you explain us please?

Thanks for answering!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:56 PM
  • The recimg -CreateImage command only works with Refresh, doesn't impact the Reset feature.

The Reset feature relies on the Installation Media as this is more intended to clean the machine of all personal files and installed applications.

Michael
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:06 PM
    Owner
  • The recimg -CreateImage command only works with Refresh, doesn't impact the Reset feature.

The Reset feature relies on the Installation Media as this is more intended to clean the machine of all personal files and installed applications.

Michael

Great! Thank you so much Michael!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Just a question is there way to specify which source files it is going to use when reset is done.

Here is what I am trying to do create exact image of disc and use that as source. Instead of disc.

Currently I have created second partition to hold disc image and planning to dump cd image.

Also can recimg.exe use compression.
    • Edited by Haris7 Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:21 PM