Strange/unwanted Attempt to Access to DVD Drive right after debug finished/stopped RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have a problem with VS 2015 professional. Every time I debug a program, when I stop debugging or when the debugging is finished, VS tries to check the DVD  drive. It is very strange and annoying. Can anyone help me to locate the source of this issue?

Many thanks

• Edited by user3784659 Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:24 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:24 AM

All replies

• Does this happen with new simple projects too?

Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:24 AM
  • Thanks for reaching back. Yes it happens with a completely new project with a single definition for an integer. What diagnostic step I should take next?
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:36 PM
  • Hi user3784659,

According to your description, how to judge the VS access the DVD during the debug.

As far as I know, VS will monitor the usage of memory and other hard disk performance. Please disable the following option in Debugging (Tools->Options->Debugging->disable Enable Diagnostic Tools while debugging) to observe results.

And whether we could make DVD un-access in the machine, because during the developing we don’t need to access the DVD in most case. So we could make DVD un-access to observe the results.

In addition, if above steps do not work for you. Please share me this issue happened recently or it also happened before. If it happened recently, and it works before, I suggest you had better run your VS in safe mode (devenv /SafeMode), which could prevent all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

Hope it helpful for you.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 25, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Thanks a lot for you answer. But the problem persists. I tried disabling the diagnostic tools and also running the VS in safe mode, but again at the moment that debugging stops something accesses my DVD drive. This is a new computer that I bought recently so I cannot say anything about the past situation. Moreover I tried to debug a C# project and the same thing is happening there too.

One thing that I observed is that, when I disable the DVD drive from Device Manager and enable it again, the problem disappears for a few minutes.

I really appreciate you help and looking forward for you next advice.

UPDATE: I used Process Monitor to identify the culprit. It seems that "StandardCollector.Service.exe" is the process that attempts to access my drive. Here is the event log for that ( I removed the time column):

StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_CREATE H: SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Dis"Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre;"> 6112 IRP_MJ_CREATE H:\ INVALID PARAMETER Desired Access: Synchronize, Dis"Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre;"> 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: FAST IO DISALLOWED Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: SUCCESS Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: FAST IO DISALLOWED Control: IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: NO MEDIA Control: IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: FAST IO DISALLOWED Control: IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: SUCCESS Control: IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: FAST IO DISALLOWED Control: IOCTL_CDROM_GET_CONFIGURATION
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: SUCCESS Control: IOCTL_CDROM_GET_CONFIGURATION
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: FAST IO DISALLOWED Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL H: SUCCESS Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP H: SUCCESS
    StandardCollector.Service.exe 6112 IRP_MJ_CLOSE H: SUCCESS

I can find some other issues reported about this process (including memory leak). My VS is VS 2015 Update 3 by the way.

• Edited by user3784659 Friday, November 25, 2016 3:40 PM Additional Information
    Friday, November 25, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Hi friend,

According to your detailed description, I found the similar issue as you from the following thread. The issue also caused by the StandardCollector.Service.exe.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e6bd7b15-b0cc-4143-b874-3f329323bef8/how-to-prevent-standardcollectorservice-to-wake-up-my-secondary-hd-?forum=visualstudiogeneral

You could try to disable them from service, and disable "Visual Studio Stand Collector Service" and "Microsoft (R) Diagnostics Hub Standard Collector Service". Then debug your project again.

But I think this is a bug with StandardCollector.Service.exe when debug the project. because StandardCollector.Service.exe will be called when debug the project.

I have helped you submitted a feedback to VS connect (click Help menu->Send Feedback->Report a problem), please refer to the following screenshot, I think engineers from Microsoft will evaluate this issue seriously. Please click Me Too button to vote it. And please mark this reply, which could help others who has the same issue as you vote it. Please wait patiently.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Oscar_Wu Monday, November 28, 2016 10:11 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Dear Oscar,

Many thanks. I up-voted your answer and also reported the issue through sending feedback feature of my VS.

Let's hope they come up with a solution soon.

Again thanks,

Saturday, November 26, 2016 3:40 AM
  • Hi friend,

If you have reported the problem, would you please share a screenshot here just like my reply, and mark your reply as answer, which could help others, who has the same issue as yours, vote it.

Or you could mark my above reply as answer.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Saturday, November 26, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Just "Me Too" that issue.

Noticed it but never bothered about it.... Thanks

Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Hi everyone,

For those of you who still looking for a semi-permanent solution for this, please follow the instructions here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40813663/visual-studio-2015-tries-to-access-optical-drive-after-debug-finished

It solved my problem.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 12:59 AM