"Bypassing recovery for database 'XXXX' because it is marked as an inaccessible database mirroring database. A problem exists with the mirroring session. RRS feed

• Question

• SQL Server info SQL Server Std edition SP3 on both Principal and Mirror X64.  SQL Server Express edition Sp3 on witness x64 WOW.
    OS Info Server 2003 X64 Std Edition SP2

Succesfully setup mirroring using certificates on database X.  Mirror monitor indicated asll communication green and in sync.  SQL Server X on Host X where database X was principal we restarted.  Database X failed over to SQL Server Y on Host Y.  All in sync and all communication green per Mirror Monitor.
    Database X failed back to SQL Server X using Alter database 'X' set partner failover.  Database never comes out of recovery.
    "Bypassing recovery for database 'X because it is marked as an inaccessible database mirroring database. A problem exists with the mirroring session. The session either lacks a quorum or the communications links are broken because of problems with links, endpoint configuration, or permissions (for the server account or security certificate). To gain access to the database, figure out what has changed in the session configuration and undo the change.
    To my knowledge noithign was changed (of course). But I verified existence of logins and users, logins permissions on endpoints, endpoints existed and started.  Could ping between all hosts.    Ended up having to break the mirror from SQL Server Y.  Could not break mirror from SQL Server X.  Could not failback from SQL Server X or Y.  Ran DBCC checkdb and no errrors.  
    Looking for any information on this error or any ideas of addtional troubleshooting that could be done. 
    TIA,
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.  During my troubleshooting process I did ensure logins with associated users that were granted the abillity to connect the endpoint we created.  I actually went so far as regranting the connection privledge. 
    I alos wanted to thank you for the link provided.  I had used this article as my model for the scripting of this attempt at mirroring.
    If I posted a sanitized copy of the script would that help? or if you have any other usefull suggestions could you please provide them. 

Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    • Marked as answer by Joe_Hell Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems a problem with the account on the principle and mirror. Make sure the account that the mirror instance run as has a login the principle instance and is granted the connection permission.  If you setup database mirroring by using certificates, you need to configure both principle and mirror instances to use outbound and inbound connections.  Please refer to the step-by-step guide in following example: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191140.aspx
    For more information about troubleshooting database mirroring setup, please see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189127.aspx.

If there are any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.  During my troubleshooting process I did ensure logins with associated users that were granted the abillity to connect the endpoint we created.  I actually went so far as regranting the connection privledge. 
    I alos wanted to thank you for the link provided.  I had used this article as my model for the scripting of this attempt at mirroring.
    If I posted a sanitized copy of the script would that help? or if you have any other usefull suggestions could you please provide them. 

Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    • Marked as answer by Joe_Hell Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I am seeing the same error on our production system running SQL Server 2005 SP2 (build 9.0.3310) on Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64. We are mirroring several databases between servers X and Y. Mirroring is configured with no witness and high performance. The SQL Server services are running under the same service account on both servers X and Y. This setup has been running fine for 11 months. The last few times that our production server (X) has been rebooted for maintenance all of the mirrored databases came up fine except for one. I get the same error you listed. If I stop SQL Server on the mirror server (Y) the database on X finishes recovery. Then when SQL Server is started on the mirror server (Y) mirroring resumes.

Most of the databases being mirrored are at compatibility 90 but the database experiencing this problem is at compatibility 80. There is also one other database at compatibility 80 that does not have this problem.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Hi Joe

I got this issue on my production where database was mirrored. and out of all mirrored databases only one database was coming (in recovery) mode.
    and it was in this state for more than 24hours.

I restarted sql server services on mirror server and principal server database was resumed.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!!!

cheers!!
    • Proposed as answer by Neil_Alcatras Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Neil_Alcatras Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Neil_Alcatras Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:23 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 11:45 AM
  • No need to do this much stuff, In synchronized mirroring untill trasactions are not commited in mirrord they are not comited on principle also. Hence put principle server in recovery mode.

Instead of restarting SQL server and getting downtime, i think break mirroring from both side, principle as well as mirrored side. In this way principle database will automatically come up and we can setup mirroring again.

Charanjit Jagdev
    • Proposed as answer by Charan_Jagdev Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joe_Hell Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Zapways Saturday, October 12, 2013 12:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Zapways Saturday, October 12, 2013 12:50 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:45 PM
  • restarting the mirror server did the trick for me.

Thanks for your post.

Neil

Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:25 AM
  • This worked for me

Thank u

sadankumar

Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Restarting the Mirror worked.

I have two database wnet into Recovery state in Primary Server, restarting the Mirror server brought the db's online.

Thank you.

sadankumar

• Edited by Sadan Kumar Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:20 PM
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:04 PM