How to migrate data from Sybase views into SQL tables RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to get SQL Server Migration Assistant to read data from a Sybase view and store it in a SQL table.  My problem is that I have a legacy sybase application that is being decomissioned and I have been asked to migrate the data into SQL Server.  The problem I have is that:

• The account I have been provided to connect to the Sybase database does not have select privileges on all the tables
    • I don't have the sa password for the Sybase database to alter the security
    • The vendor support contract has expired and it does not appear I have any way to get the sa password

The account I've been given has access to query data in several views even though it does not have access to the underlying tables that the view pulls data from.  Since this is a legacy application whose data is now static, I wonder if it's possible to read the data from the Sybase views and dump it into SQL tables.

Does anyone know if this is possible?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ken,

We cannot use SQL Server Migration Assistant to migrate data from a Sybase view into a SQL Server table.

However, in your scenario, you can export data from Sybase views to text/CSV/Excel files using bcp utility, then import data from text/CSV/Excel files to SQL Server tables via several methods. For more details about how to import data into SQL Server, please review the following blogs.

Different Options for Importing Data into SQL Server
    SQL SERVER – Import CSV File Into SQL Server Using Bulk Insert – Load Comma Delimited File Into SQL Server

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ken DBA Friday, October 9, 2015 1:46 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2015 2:23 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Yes You can transfer data by exporting to a flat file and load it in to your sql server.

There is another easy way to do it using SSIS package.

Build a simple package and use query as source and then choose the destination as your sql server tables.

If these two are on the different networks then your option will be only the flat file import and export.

thnaks

kumar

Friday, October 9, 2015 3:33 AM