Internet/Intranet Licensing question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I think my scenario is pretty common, but I'm confused by which licensing options I should be looking at.

Basically, we want to setup Sharepoint as a Helpdesk-type solution.  People should be able to lodge Helpdesk requests via the Internet, which can then be responded to by users on our company Intranet.

The catch (I think) is that the Internet users should first visit the site as anonymous users, but then need to login before being able to submit a Helpdesk request.

I'm not sure how this should be setup insofar as licensing is concerned.

The fact we want an internet-facing web site seems to indicate that we need to go the big $30K US licensing option to expose the site on the 'net.  However, this licensing option specifically states that it's for internet-facing websites only, and that access to the site is not available to employees.

Further to that, the fact we need the users to login before submitted a Helpdesk ticket seems to indicate that they'll require a CAL, as they then become a "named user".

Lastly, there's the question of authentication.  My understanding is that a Sharepoint site can support up to 5 methods of authentication per site.  So the internet users would be using form-based authentication, whereas the intranet users would be using Windows authentication.  Is this possible?  Can anyone point me to resources demonstrating how to setup this kind of blended authentication?

If anyone can give me any guidance on these points, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Tony
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:49 PM

Answers

• As for the licensing my understanding is that in your case all Internet users will covered under Internet connector license.
    You employees still will need CAL to access the site.

Also do not forget about proper licensing for SQL server. In this case you may be better served by using CPU license then CAL's.

Yes, you can have multiple authentication methods on your site.
    Please check the link bellow by Andrew Connell
    http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/articles/HowToConfigPublishingSiteWithDualAuthProvidersAndAnonAccess.aspx

Regards
    Ivan Bondy - MCPD, MCDBA, MCSA, MCTS - Sharepoint consultant
    If you get an answer to your question, please click the
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:49 PM

All replies

• As for the licensing my understanding is that in your case all Internet users will covered under Internet connector license.
    You employees still will need CAL to access the site.

Also do not forget about proper licensing for SQL server. In this case you may be better served by using CPU license then CAL's.

Yes, you can have multiple authentication methods on your site.
    Please check the link bellow by Andrew Connell
    http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/articles/HowToConfigPublishingSiteWithDualAuthProvidersAndAnonAccess.aspx

Regards
    Ivan Bondy - MCPD, MCDBA, MCSA, MCTS - Sharepoint consultant
    If you get an answer to your question, please click the
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:49 PM
  • If WSS is an option, then the price isn't much at all.  You still need an external site connector but it is roughly $1000 or so.  I'm not a licensing guy, but that the last value I heard.

The money differance definitly makes WSS an attactrive solution.

You may also find that you can find a hosting provider for $20 a month and save the upfront costs.

Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:00 AM