JSON Web Token RRS feed

• Question

• User-90830185 posted

I am working on windows application (WPF, WCF and XAML etc). There is also a legacy web application designed believe it or not in VB6 (Web class). The application is using framework 4.0 although some have been upgraded to 4.5. In short all of it is somewhat legacy.

However, the customers are requesting for JWT for a single sign on.

I am kind of new to web API but have been through various tutorials and forums etc.

I have designed and developed a simple web API which generates the Token but this is all normal .net framework. However, I have seen JWT development tutorial but they are all in .Net Core.

Therefore, my question is what is the difference between creating a normal web token and creating JWT in .Net Core? If I develop JWT in .Net Core then will I be able to integrate this with the current legacy application mentioned above?

I would appreciate if someone can assist please? Thanks and Kind Regards.

Monday, May 17, 2021 9:22 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Therefore, my question is what is the difference between creating a normal web token and creating JWT in .Net Core?

A JavaScript Web Token (JWT) is an openly published standard.  I'm not sure what a Normal Web Token is.  Can you explain? 

I think your first step is to learn the JWT standard; https://jwt.io/

If I develop JWT in .Net Core then will I be able to integrate this with the current legacy application mentioned above?

JWTs are Base64 encoded and signed.  The signature is used to validate if the JWT was tampered with.  Most modern languages/frameworks have JWT libraries.  Older frameworks like VB6 might require a Google search to fine JWT samples if you do not want to write your own.

https://www.google.com/search?q=VB6+JWT&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS838US838&oq=VB6+JWT&aqs=chrome..69i57.2585j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Monday, May 17, 2021 10:57 AM
  • User-90830185 posted

Basically, I followed a video to develop a small web API using VS2017 (framework 4.61) which registers the user and fetches an access token to be  used to access our application's secured resources etc. But then I noticed that the code was upgraded to .Net Core to generate JWT etc. Now I am not sure whether I should continue to use the standard Framework 4.6.1 to authenticate the user and generate access token or I should upgrade it to .Net Core to authenticate and generate JWT? knowing that customer have requested an API to be used as part of their Mobile application to access our legacy application?

To cut the storey short the customer have requested for an API to be used via their mobile application and they need a "single sign on" option. Therefore, I assume this requires a feature to first authenticate their userid/password, register the customer, and then generate JWT to be returned to the customer to use the JWT (as a single sign on) each time they want to use the API.

So my question is, should this API be developed in standard framework or .Net Core?

Monday, May 24, 2021 9:26 AM
  • User475983607 posted

So my question is, should this API be developed in standard framework or .Net Core?

I recommend .NET 5 which is the newest framework.  

Monday, May 24, 2021 10:21 AM