Touchscreen Right-Click Press and Hold duration not working

Question

• Hello,

In Windows 7, if you have a touchscreen plugged in, you can access the "Pen and Touch" settings within the Control Panel.  There, you can click on the "Touch" tab, select the "Press and Hold" item in the list and click on Settings.  From there, you can adjust a slider known as "Press and Hold duration", which controls how long your press and hold action will be considered as a right-click before giving up and deciding that you meant to hold down with a left click.  Adjustment to this bar works fine in Windows 7.

However, in the Windows Developer Preview, no matter how I adjust that bar, my press and hold action on the touchscreen will always be assumed as a right-click no matter how long I hold down.  It does not seem to switch over to a left-click hold down action like it did in Windows 7.

Is this a bug in Windows Developer Preview, or was this intended by design?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:50 PM

Answers

• Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.    ^_^

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:49 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• It is supposed to pop up, so I guess it's a bug. Report this using the feedback tool and maybe try a system restore.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.    ^_^

rafael

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Rafael,

I have gone ahead with installing the feedback tool and providing a detailed report.  Like I asked earlier, I'm not sure if what I described above was done by intentional design, or if it is a bug.

It is important for me to know this because I work for a company that designs tools and recently has incorporated industrial touchscreens that use the mouse paradigm.  However, if the industrial touchscreens switch over to using the Windows touchscreen paradigm, we need to be ready.  At this moment, with what is in the Windows Developer Preview, it's really hard to move the tool around using our jog buttons.  In Windows 7, you just had to wait a moment before your touchscreen hold-down action was interpreted as a left button hold down (instead of an attempt to right-click) and things would move fine.  The WDP does not have that though and so we can't move the tool around so easily.

-Nate

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:50 PM
  • On my test unit, I am able to move around any icon or file easily by placing my finger over the object and begin dragging it around without having to wait any amount of time, which is essentially the same as a left-click & hold maneuver, and I don’t have to wait for the right-click option to register.  Once I drag the object immediately after holding it down, it does not register back to a right-click, which might resolve your issue if you are needing to hold on to an object for an extended period of time before letting go.  Just be sure to move it slightly before the right-click manuever registers after a few seconds.

That being said, is that your ultimate goal for this particular issue? Or are you wanting the option to do it both ways for other reasons?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:56 PM
    Answerer
  • The situation I have is that I have an application with buttons on the form that are responsible for jogging the tool around.  The tool only moves when a button that is on the form is clicked and held down.  When you release the button on the form, the movement stops.  In Windows 7 with a touchscreen, you only had to wait for the duration (slide bar) for Windows to recognize that you intended to perform a left mouse button hold down action before it would do it.  This was represented with a circle graphic centered around where you were touching that represented a timer.  Once the graphic cleared, your press was recognized as holding down the left mouse button.  So, if I held down on a button that was on the form, once the duration time for the right-click interpretation elapsed, the button on the form would press down and my machine would start moving and will not stop until I release my finger from the button.

In the Windows Developer Preview, the time duration for the right-click menu never seems to elapse.  Thus, I can hold my finger down for ten seconds or even longer (on the desktop, for example) and the right-click menu will still come up after that time.  When I try this on a button of my form, nothing happens after the graphical square that represents that a right-click will take place appears.  From that point on, while I hold down, the graphical square remains (the "duration" slider is not being respected here).  Once I remove my finger from the button, Windows Developer Preview interprets that as a right-click.  So, the end result is that I am no longer able to jog my machine around.

I need to know if this change is something that was done by design that we will have to code around or if this is something considered to be a bug (thus, we should not take action).

If anything else, I can probably get a copy of Camtasia (or something else you may suggest) and record video of the instance in Windows 7 vs. Windows Developer Preview for you to see what I'm talking about.  Just let me know.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:31 PM