none
Biztalk EDI Schema understanding RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

i am trying to create EDI Sample,but as per MSDN for the 850 sample(InBound_EDI) i.e of purchase order,i do not get the point that how i would be able to understand the structure of that xsd file,i mean if i open it and see there are planty of nodes and i have no idea what they say,and if i am not able to underdtand what are they then how i would be able to map it with m y schema,i mean which filed to map with which one,so do not we have description which states this filed is for this or something which make sense,as in the tutorial its been said that add the xsd from so and so location but no where it is written how to map this schema as map file is also readyli available,so i want to know how to go with it

Monday, April 5, 2010 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi

For understanding what value should be in each node then you can see the Notes property of the node in the schema. This will give you a brief idea what value you should be mapping to that field in the schema. Even at record there is a little hint of what record should be containing.

If you want to get more details then you have to search for specification of the particular transaction. If you want to search for PO then type x12 850 specification in search engine and you will get lot of pdfs which you can use to understand.

Nikhil

Dont forget to mark as answer if it answeres or helpful if its helpful

Monday, April 5, 2010 1:11 PM

All replies

• Here is the companion guide for 850 which will tell about every node's importance
    http://www.victorreinz.com/edi/documents/850%20Implementation%20Guide.pdf

Thanks, Raja
    Monday, April 5, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Too Techinal man....

i am really getting frustrated now....the document is too technical man..there is information for sure but "INFORMATION BECOMES USELESS WHEN IT IS NOT UNDERSTANDBLE",i mean say i agreed upon the tag information but all other stuffs are highly technical,say if i want to communicate with supplier and retrailor i have to deal with different formats,there is no documentation available how to start...say for example purchase order,it has planty of nodes,now i have to have understanding of all those nodes so that i can map it with my output xml,and this is just a purchase order,there can be many more like it

i tried searching everything..but no luck,the example or small application which is doing this type of automation as without that i am not able to undestand how all communication will take place,who will be sending documents in which format,and to whom i will be sending and what...so this is the area which i wanna exploit...

thxs

Monday, April 5, 2010 9:14 AM
  • If you start your edi map then that company will provide that companion guide that will tell you what are the nodes need to be map and optional etc.,
    Thanks, Raja
    Monday, April 5, 2010 9:20 AM
  • thxs raja for your reply

so say we will be having two schemas in the map,one would be given by the trading partner which would be on left side and one schema of our system which would be on the right side may be updategram or simple xsd schema...am i right...so it means process would be same for that kind of senario as well...just mapp with corresponding map and use it further...is it so??

Monday, April 5, 2010 10:22 AM
  • yes you are correct. I believe you have the mapping documentation which will say clearly like which source schema's element mapped to target schema's element. If not then check with your manager.
    Thanks, Raja
    Monday, April 5, 2010 10:26 AM
  • actually i was going through microsoft's msdn documentation for EDI,in that everyhing was ready made so i was thinking about real life senario and hence i fired up this question that how i would come to know all these?,and i think right now i am somewhat clear that,so following are some small question just for my assesment if you can ans plz

1) from month or so i am developing small apps to understand biztalk,and explored schemas,orchestration,mapper in detail so now i know what they do and how to do it,it means that even if the application is EDI,only the EDI configuration like creating party and setting EDI Properties is extra work otherwise in development side there will not be any change,i mean i will create EDI application same as i will create normal file debatching application...am i right???

Monday, April 5, 2010 10:45 AM
  • yes you are correct. Apart from BizTalk artifacts, you have to concentrate BRE, BAM, C#, xslt etc.,

You should be familiar with troubleshooting the BizTalk applications under Admin Console.

HAT tool and need to know how to implement custom HAT query.

Thanks, Raja
    Monday, April 5, 2010 10:51 AM
  • ok mite thxs for the help

i have used HAT for tracking the instances and suspend purpose so i know something about it so

that is not the bigger issue

thxs man

Monday, April 5, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Hi

For understanding what value should be in each node then you can see the Notes property of the node in the schema. This will give you a brief idea what value you should be mapping to that field in the schema. Even at record there is a little hint of what record should be containing.

If you want to get more details then you have to search for specification of the particular transaction. If you want to search for PO then type x12 850 specification in search engine and you will get lot of pdfs which you can use to understand.

Nikhil

Dont forget to mark as answer if it answeres or helpful if its helpful

Monday, April 5, 2010 1:11 PM