Load embedded resource file to access comments RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We wanted to programmatically access the "Comment" section used in the resource file editor of visual Studio. There is a sample here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.resources.resxdatanode.asp using the ResXResourceReader. In contrast to this sample I have not a file on the harddisk but an embedded resource file (Resx file with "Build" property set to "Embedded Resource").

With an embedded resource the sample does not work and

> IDictionaryEnumerator dict = rr.GetEnumerator();

throws an exception because it is confronted with binary data

So I tried to extract the resx file first and look at it. I found so far no way to access the file as XML. The data I get contains the strings of the resource file but looks like a binary (compiled) file.

And I also found no working sample to gain access to the comment section using ResourceManager class. Everyone seems to be satisfied with Key/Value collections (at least this is the dominant theme in discussions I found on the web) omitting access to the comment section.

I would be happy with a solution which extracts first the decoded XML out of the embedded resource file and parse that xml. If there is a simpler version using an already defined class with a "Comment" property I would be happy too

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:19 AM

Answers

• "The data I get contains the strings of the resource file but looks like a binary (compiled) file."

Well, it IS a binary file.

"And I also found no working sample to gain access to the comment section using ResourceManager class. Everyone seems to be satisfied with Key/Value collections (at least this is the dominant theme in discussions I found on the web) omitting access to the comment section."

Because the whole purpose of resources is to store key value pairs. Comments are a source code thing and you cannot extract comments from resources much like you cannot get C# comments from a compiled dll by using reflection. The comments are removed during compilation.

• Marked as answer by zuiopl Monday, April 15, 2013 10:30 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 9:41 AM

All replies

• "The data I get contains the strings of the resource file but looks like a binary (compiled) file."

Well, it IS a binary file.

"And I also found no working sample to gain access to the comment section using ResourceManager class. Everyone seems to be satisfied with Key/Value collections (at least this is the dominant theme in discussions I found on the web) omitting access to the comment section."

Because the whole purpose of resources is to store key value pairs. Comments are a source code thing and you cannot extract comments from resources much like you cannot get C# comments from a compiled dll by using reflection. The comments are removed during compilation.

• Marked as answer by zuiopl Monday, April 15, 2013 10:30 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Thanks for the clarifications. Sounds like I need another concept....;-)

Thanks

• Edited by zuiopl Monday, April 15, 2013 10:31 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 10:30 AM