InfoPath 2010 Form Link in Sharepoint Via Email RRS feed

• Question

• When I send an email data submition via InfoPath, I would like for it to send it as a link to the form in Sharepoint.  How do I accomplish this versus it sending the form in the email?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:55 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure I totally understand the question, but I think the simple answer is that you don't want to submit the form via email. You should configure your submit connection to submit the form to a SharePoint library. The publish the form to that library. Then email the link to people (to get the link open the form yourself and email that).
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, August 26, 2011 6:03 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Melissa's answer is good, and I've tried that before, but for me, that opens the form in InfoPath and not the browser even if I have the form browser enabled and set the library to open forms in browser only.  Not everyone in my company has InfoPath, so we need to open in a browser.  What I've done is create a workflow variable and give it the following vaule:

http://server.name.com/expreimb/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation=/expreimb/Reimbursements/[%Current Item:Name%].xml&DefaultItemOpen=1

where [%Current Item:Name%] is the name of the file you are opening.

or more generically

http://server.name.com/site_name/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation=/site_name/library_name/[%Current Item:file_name%].xml&DefaultItemOpen=1

And then, in the Send Email Action I have to put

[%Variable: DocLink%]

where DocLink is the name I gave to my workflow variable.

I know this doesn't seem like the best way to have to do this, but like I said, we prefer it opening in the browser and not in InfoPath.  Am I missing a better way to do this myself?  What I'm doing seems kind of harsh really.  There should be an easier way of opening in the browser as opposed to the InfoPath form.  If not, this will get you to open in a browser.

Friday, August 19, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Steven is correct - you should submit to a form library vs. email submit.

You can attach a workflow to the form library that is triggered when the form is submitted.  Add a Send Email action in the workflow.  In the email body add the link to the form:

<a href="[Encoded Absolute URL]">Click here to open the form</a>

For the [Encoded Aboslute URL] part you add that by clicking to Add Lookup - select current item, then Encoded Absolute URL.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:03 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I totally understand the question, but I think the simple answer is that you don't want to submit the form via email. You should configure your submit connection to submit the form to a SharePoint library. The publish the form to that library. Then email the link to people (to get the link open the form yourself and email that).
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Steven is correct - you should submit to a form library vs. email submit.

You can attach a workflow to the form library that is triggered when the form is submitted.  Add a Send Email action in the workflow.  In the email body add the link to the form:

<a href="[Encoded Absolute URL]">Click here to open the form</a>

For the [Encoded Aboslute URL] part you add that by clicking to Add Lookup - select current item, then Encoded Absolute URL.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Melissa's answer is good, and I've tried that before, but for me, that opens the form in InfoPath and not the browser even if I have the form browser enabled and set the library to open forms in browser only.  Not everyone in my company has InfoPath, so we need to open in a browser.  What I've done is create a workflow variable and give it the following vaule:

http://server.name.com/expreimb/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation=/expreimb/Reimbursements/[%Current Item:Name%].xml&DefaultItemOpen=1

where [%Current Item:Name%] is the name of the file you are opening.

or more generically

http://server.name.com/site_name/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation=/site_name/library_name/[%Current Item:file_name%].xml&DefaultItemOpen=1

And then, in the Send Email Action I have to put

[%Variable: DocLink%]

where DocLink is the name I gave to my workflow variable.

I know this doesn't seem like the best way to have to do this, but like I said, we prefer it opening in the browser and not in InfoPath.  Am I missing a better way to do this myself?  What I'm doing seems kind of harsh really.  There should be an easier way of opening in the browser as opposed to the InfoPath form.  If not, this will get you to open in a browser.

Friday, August 19, 2011 4:17 PM