none
Widnows 8.1 Embedded industry pro x86 UWF (RAM) Overlay capacity problem RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

does anyone know anything about (capacity) limit of UWF ?

Situation:
    - Win 8.1 Embedded Industry pro x86, machine with 4GB RAM, page/swap file disabled.
    - UWF OVERLAY only in memory, maximum capacity set to 2048MB, protected only system volume c:

Now I am slowly filling the overlay by copying files into "locked" c:.
    Consumed capacity checked by "uwfmgr overlay get-consumption" command.

Whenever i reach the overlay consumption of approximately 1550 - 1560MB the system becomes "unstable" in meaning that the system is not able to run the "uwfmgr overlay get-consumption" command any more.
    (in fact it refuses many other commands too, for example "chkdsk c:", it looks as problems with
    accessing any files on the filesystem)

This state often also puts this event:
    "Event 140, Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:,
    DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume1.
    ({Not Enoug Quota}
    Not enoug virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation.)"

or

"Event 140, Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:,
    DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume1.
    (Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.)"

into system event log.

After deleting some "newly added" files and waiting for a while the system "recovers" itself and
    it is again possible to run any of the above mentioned tools/programs.

The official MSDN pages about Windows 8.1 Embedded industry does not say anything about any limit.

Can anyone help me ?

So far I am clueless and all I can do is to make the maximum overlay capacity of 1540MB.

Thank you for any answer.

Daniel Binko

Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:54 AM

All replies

• Do you have the thresholds set to 1GB? Do you get any warnings when you hit a threshold?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:34 PM
  • The thresholds are working correctly, whenever warning or critical threshold is reached, the correct event is written to the Windows system event log and I can associate that event(s) to run whatever I want.

But during the above mentioned testing time the overaly capacity was set to 2000MB, critical threshold to 1950MB and warning threshold to 1900MB. So none of the thresholds do anything (because they shouldn't).

Daniel Binko

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 12:46 PM