none
I cant find 'cl.exe'

Question

• I need to use visual studio 2013/15 compiler , but i can't find cl.exe in any place.
    please help :/
    • Edited by coderLuan Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:14 PM a
    Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:13 PM

Answers

• Yes, it should be possible to modify your installation through:
    - Control Panel -> Programs and Features (I hope that is the correct name, I am not using an english build at the moment). Then simply find the entry of Visual Studio and select it. Then press the modify button on top of the list. This should start the setup again.
    - Simply start the setup application again.

Once the setup is running, it might
    - tell you that an update is available so you might be able to update the installation (if you got the latest version already, this screen will not show.

- then it should give give you the options to modify, repair or uninstall Visual Studio. You have to choose modify here.

Now you should see a tree view with a lot of options. Visual C++ is almost on top inside programing languages. Just go through the list and select everything that you think might be useful or required. Once you are done: press the update button.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What exactly did you install? Did you install Visual Studio including the Visual C++?

If you included Visual C, you should be able to find cl.exe at a path like:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin

The path might be different if you changed the installation directory. On 32bit Systems, it should be Program Files instead of Program Files (x86).
    The version (14.0) might be lower if you installed an older version instead of Visual Studio 2015.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:18 PM
  • I instaled Visual Studio Community and i couldn't find any cl.exe
    Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:26 PM
  • That does not give the exact details of your installation.

Could it be that you installed the Visual Studio Community 2015 with default settings? Which only includes C# and VB and not c++?

In such a case you have to add the missing components.

Info that C++ is no longer installed as default:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/07/24/setup-changes-in-visual-studio-2015-affecting-c-developers/

Details about installing Visual Studio 2015:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw.aspx

Please be aware that this is just a guess because you didn't give details what you did exactly when installing Visual Studio.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:38 PM
  • can i install c++ now?
    • Edited by coderLuan Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:52 PM s
    Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Yes, it should be possible to modify your installation through:
    - Control Panel -> Programs and Features (I hope that is the correct name, I am not using an english build at the moment). Then simply find the entry of Visual Studio and select it. Then press the modify button on top of the list. This should start the setup again.
    - Simply start the setup application again.

Once the setup is running, it might
    - tell you that an update is available so you might be able to update the installation (if you got the latest version already, this screen will not show.

- then it should give give you the options to modify, repair or uninstall Visual Studio. You have to choose modify here.

Now you should see a tree view with a lot of options. Visual C++ is almost on top inside programing languages. Just go through the list and select everything that you think might be useful or required. Once you are done: press the update button.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 5:02 PM