How to get the FBWF system tray icon? RRS feed

• Question

• (Windows 7 embedded P)

FBWF works fine with the command line fbwfmgr, but no icon in the tray appears.

I downloaded a tool from MS called "File Based Write Filter Management Tool" thinking that had the utility (I still think it does, perhaps I'm wrong?), but it says I need "File Based Write Filter Provider" installed.

I've searched, I've reinstalled, but I  cant find a "File Based Write filter provider", despite some documents insisting its a feature to choose on install.All I want is the tool that seems to be standard on HP /wyse/dell builds that reports on the status of the filter, and (I think) the exceptions.

Any assistance will be very much appreciated, especially by my wife who wonders why I am shouting "what provider!!!" at the screen.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:04 PM

All replies

• There are three modules for FBWF:

• File Based Write Filter (FBWF)
    • Files Based Write Filter Management Tool
    • File Based Write Filter provider

They are all located under Embedded Enabling Features.

Did you build the image or are you trying to modified a system with WES7 on it?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:30 PM
  • Thanks for replying.

I built it from the ISO I downloaded from the MS site.
    (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=11887)

I don't recall(I did look out for them).

• Files Based Write Filter Management Tool
    • File Based Write Filter provider

Being options to select during the install (from the ISO).

I guess this means I need to figure out how to use ICE.

Friday, January 31, 2014 12:27 AM
  • I'm afraid under

"Embedded Enabling features" I just get

Bootable Windows usb stack

Custom Logon Desktop Background Images

Dialog Box Filter

Enhanced Write filter with HORM

File based Write Filter (fbwf)

hide boot screen

Message box default reply

RAm disk controller

registry filter

sd boot

wsdapi for .net

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Afai remember you have to install optional updates from ece/myoem. -  I'm not up-to-date with the latest hotfix/update but I remember many Problems with the Tool (first release).

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (http://www.wesnext.com)

Friday, January 31, 2014 1:29 PM
  • ...and I guess "myoem" is something a bog standard user such as myslef would not have access to?

This whole windows embedded experince has been a series of frustrations from start to finish, and regretable "finish" is where I feel I am at.

HP offer an embedded product with bitlocker, but the image doesn't come with that feature. HP support does not even know the difference between windows embedded P and windows profesional so can't offer any help. The MS installation CD  only has half the software installed on it, the other half is behind a pay wall, and the product has next to no documention.

Serioulsy MS?????

Anyway I manged to get the fbwf provider from the POS7  evaluation DVD, and I got the fbwf mananger from a download on the MS site.  Imported both with "dism /online ........."

However the manager is a later edition and while they both installed and appeared to work every time I click on any windows  application (eg rdp)  windows says "the publisher is unknown do you trust ....".

• Edited by Joe Darkman Friday, January 31, 2014 4:16 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Although installing from the DVD is a nice quick and dirty install feature, ICE should really be used to build the WES7 images. I know with WES 7 SP1 these modules came with the distribution share since I have them, and nothing downloaded from myOEM website.

For more information on ICE:http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, January 31, 2014 6:17 PM
  • I checked out ICE but there was no indication of the FBWF provider and manager was  there.

I was able to get hold of the MSDN  wes7 sp1, through torrent sites and sure enough the cabs were still missing.

I had  another go at my frankinstein build

Key from HP build (retrieved using j*lly be*n)
    Install using WES evaluation
    "FBWF provider" cab from posready7 evaluation
    FBWF manager" from MS site executable (http://www.elbacom.com/uk/node/624)

..and it now seems to be working but as I said there is a dependency issue with the manager requiring a later version of the provider, so trouble may lay ahead.

I did have a go at ICE, and will probably use that.

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:46 PM
  • Maybe these are downloaded via WEDU - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23004

I know didn't get them from MyOEM.

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:33 PM
  • And that is your problem. If you are warezing it are you really getting the full banana? Either sign up for MSDN or buy the WES toolkit (about USD 1000) and an OEM agreement. Screwing around like the above gets you reported to the M$ anti-piracy strike-force and combat knitting team.

If you are just screwing around trying to make some "in car pc" or some other toy, you will find banging your head on a wall is less painful.

If this is for work, do it properly, buy the toolkit, it's cheap enough. Then buy Sean Liming's book and read it. It will enable you to choose what sort of wall you bang your head on.

In ICE, the thing you are talking about is under:

Distribution share -> Packages -> FeaturePack -> Embedded Enabling Features.

You want all three of:

• File Based Write Filter (FBWF)
    • File Based Write Filter Management Tool
    • File Based Write Filter Provider

Whether it works for you or not depends on whether you are legitimate or not.

=^x^=

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:04 PM