Need help choosing a good API for handle scanners and cameras RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a project that needs to handle scanners (specially those check scanners) and webcams/cameras from tablets and notebooks.

I wonder if someone could advise about two apis to implement in our solution:

1) For scanner handling actually we use TWAIN. TWAIN seems too old and WIA seems stillborn. I'd like to know what's the more modern api lately to interact with scanners. We need capabilities such as acquire, auto feed, reverse feed, and most of those capabilities found in TWAIN spec.

2) For camera/webcam handling we use actually Video For Windows, which of course is obsolete. We need an API that supports several hardware platforms such as tables, notebooks and maybe mobile phones and it must have has the ability to capture video and images. We also need capabilities such as rotation and mirroring.

3) Both api must support Windows 32 and 64 from XP to Win 8 but from Win 7 to win 8 is ok.

4) We develop using C Sharp, sou integration with .Net is a must.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my poor English).
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:36 PM

All replies

• 1 Generally Windows Portable Devices is recommended over Windows Image Acquisition for new devices, but this is for device driver developers. As a software developer you don't get to pick which interface the driver developer choose to expose, unless the driver developer is kind enough to provide multiple interfaces. For example, Logitech QuickCam 10.x has both WIA and DirectShow for XP but only DirectShow for Vista. There's no TWAIN interface.

2 Sorry, there is no universal API across platforms (that's the job of a class library like Xamarin, though it comes with a lot of luggage. OS APIs are always platform-dependent). You got DirectShow for desktop, Media Foundation (and its WinRT wrapper) for Windows store apps, and some managed & native API from the Windows Phone SDK. 

3 Windows Media Foundation require Vista. DirectShow, WPD and WIA works on XP. 

4 language isn't really an issue for grabbing a check image, those media APIs are language-independent.

Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:16 PM