none
Wanna Cry RRS feed

Answers

• Hi bbreda,

I have no reports of CE devices being hit by WannaCry or its variants. My understanding is that this malware targets X86 so ARM, SH & Mips platforms would likely not be impacted. Note that even in the x86 case, the existing attacks are targeted to desktop platform but the CE loader does require any program be compiled for the CE platform so desktop exes will not load. In order for any exe to be loaded it would need to be compiled for CE.   

My further understanding is that the attack targets SMB protocol so if your device does not utilize this protocol it would not be vulnerable.  Please see https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/  "This attack type may evolve over time, so any additional defense-in-depth strategies will provide additional protections. (For example, to further protect against SMBv1 attacks, customers should consider blocking legacy protocols on their networks)"

If your device must receive incoming SMB then you should work through your OEM. I would now direct you to contact your device manufacturer to ask for any updates as they will need to be targeted for their specific platform.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:03 PM

All replies