none
MSDN VStudio 2012 Pro and TFS RRS feed

• Question

• I have 6 developers.  3 are already on MAPS MSDN and therefore have CALs for VS 2012 Pro.  We want to start using 2012 TFS and VS 2012 Pro for all developers on the team.

As far as I understand, I have two approaches:

Approach 1:  Buy 6 TFS retail licenses and 3 VS 2012 pro retail licenses (for non MAPS developers)

Approach 2:  Buy 3 TFS retail licenses (for the MAPS developers) and 3 VS 2012 pro MSDN subscriptions

So my question is that if I were to go with Approach 2 and after a year let the MSDN VS 2012 pro subscriptions to expire, would we still be covered from a licensing perspective for the above software?  Would we have to re-up the subscription every year to stay in compliance?

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:03 PM

Answers

• Mike -

Thanks for the information.  What I have found to be the most cost-effective solution so-far is:

1 - Purchase a retail version of Team Foundation Server 2012 (server).  This includes 1 server license and 5 user CALs.  Btw, trying to buy this directly from Microsoft is impossible as far as I can tell (I went around and around and around and around with different support organizations).  You need to find a retailer offering it, item number is 125-01058. 

2 - Purchase an additional TFS 2012 user CAL

3 - Purchase 3 VS 2012 Pro Licenses retail

Paul

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:56 PM

All replies

• It at least partially depends on how you get your MSDN licenses pedricd.   Retail MSDN Subscriptions include perpetual licensing and I think some Volume License subscriptions do not.  I am not up to speed on developer licensing scenarios, so I can't give you the best advice you need.   I would contact someone through the Volume Licensing channel to discuss this with them, as if you have an existing Microsoft agreement, its probably far easier to add what you need through that agreement rather than buying a few licenses off the shelf for only half of your team.  Start here:  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing, or there might be existing guidance or support offered through MAPS that you have access to.  

I do know that retail MSDN Subscriptions do offer perpetual licensing for -development (and testing, demo, etc)- use of the software in the subscription, and probably the level you'd be interested in includes TFS.  Make sure you also review the MSDN licensing Whitepaper linked from our licensing page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:49 PM
  • Mike -

Thanks for the information.  What I have found to be the most cost-effective solution so-far is:

1 - Purchase a retail version of Team Foundation Server 2012 (server).  This includes 1 server license and 5 user CALs.  Btw, trying to buy this directly from Microsoft is impossible as far as I can tell (I went around and around and around and around with different support organizations).  You need to find a retailer offering it, item number is 125-01058. 

2 - Purchase an additional TFS 2012 user CAL

3 - Purchase 3 VS 2012 Pro Licenses retail

Paul

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Gent Paul! Glad to hear you got this solved.

Thanks for following up.

Cheers, Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:02 PM