x-ms-webview and iframe on Win 8.1 (catch 22) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i am trying to build an app for win 8.1 to wrap a website which is my application. d

i am familiar with the two options for it using the x-ms-webview or iframe tag.

The problem is that my website making use of html5 features such as indexedDb and App Cache which is not supported with the x-ms-webview on the other hand my website is not running under SSL and does not have https access to it which is breaking the restrictions of iframe on win 8.1.

is there any other way i can make it work for me as a store app? or should i just give up on store app for win 8.1?

thanks

Eyal

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:40 AM

Answers

• Hi James,

and thanks for the quick response.

easy is relative to the app content, this is a webapp that base on html generator that can do meny things per customer configuration.

it's much more complicated than what i stated here. this (rewrite) will not be an option for now from my point.

Would love to here if you have nay other suggestions

thanks

Eyal

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:54 AM
  • Eyal,

Probably the easiest way to get it up and running quickly is to port the landing page to a native Windows Store HTML/JavaScript app. This will allow the app to be available offline and meet our certification criteria. For deeper functionality of the app you can have it launch IE and you can continue in the browser. While this is not the most elegant solution and we would really love for you to take the time to build a native Windows Store app, in a pinch I think this approach will get you where you want to go.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:56 PM

All replies

• Why not put a certificate on it and run it that way? Even better, rewrite the functionality as an app?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Hello Eyal,

It should be relatively easy to convert your web app to a native Windows store HTML/JavaScript app. You will also get the benefits of the platform. Storage, sensor access, etc. Keep in mind that your app should also be available offline. If you are just hosting your website your users will be very disappointed when they try to access your app offline.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:18 PM
  • Hi

thank you for your quick response.

the answer for your question is simple, my webapp is deployed to customer site and i cannot force them to use HTTPS.

for the 2nd suggestion it is also run on Android and iOS using PhoneGap which is actually what i am planning to do here with the Windows version of it. this is a desiction which we made long time ago to be able to support all devices.

your response is very appriciated but i stil need to find a way to acomplish my task.

Thanks

Eyal

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:44 AM
  • Hi James,

and thanks for the quick response.

easy is relative to the app content, this is a webapp that base on html generator that can do meny things per customer configuration.

it's much more complicated than what i stated here. this (rewrite) will not be an option for now from my point.

Would love to here if you have nay other suggestions

thanks

Eyal

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:54 AM
  • Eyal,

Probably the easiest way to get it up and running quickly is to port the landing page to a native Windows Store HTML/JavaScript app. This will allow the app to be available offline and meet our certification criteria. For deeper functionality of the app you can have it launch IE and you can continue in the browser. While this is not the most elegant solution and we would really love for you to take the time to build a native Windows Store app, in a pinch I think this approach will get you where you want to go.

I hope this helps,

James

Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:56 PM