User Cannot Delete Shortcut? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a user who has done some out-of-the-ordinary things with the shortcut to my app, and is now having a problem.

Back when I was beta-testing my program, this user installed it (along with the beta 2 framework), then dragged the shortcut to the program from his Start Menu to his desktop.

Since then, I have released the "real" version of the program, with explicit uninstall instructions for the beta 2 framework etc.

However, this user forgot to actually uninstall my program. He uninstalled the beta 2 framework, but left my program installed. He then went ahead and installed the final version of my program along with the final 2.0 framework.

He then realised his mistake, and attempted to uninstall the beta of my program, but was met with an error.

So now he still has a shortcut on his desktop, but no entry in his start menu or "Add or Remove Programs" for the old version of the program. And when he attempts to delete the shortcut on his desktop, Windows tells him "Cannot delete Comicster : It is being used by another person or program.  Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

This is minutes after a reboot - there couldn't possibly be any program using this shortcut.

Anyone got any ideas? I've exhausted everything I can think of. I don't want to tell him he has to reinstall beta 2 of the framework just so he can remove a single desktop icon!

Cheers,
    Matt
    Friday, November 11, 2005 4:38 AM

Answers

• Well, the user was able to delete the icon in the end by downloading a program that flags files for deletion when Windows reboots. It'd be nice to know what was actually happening here, though.
    Friday, November 11, 2005 5:13 AM