Architecture question RRS feed

• Question

• Colleagues,

Need your advice for correct architecture.

We need implement entity approval process(actually row in the database with the status). Suggested that it is possible to use Workflow Foundation 4. Started to dig in that direction, but found some difficult questions.

Client drew a large diagram of approval process. Looks like it's simple to "copy" it in WF4.

But. We have web application. Suppose he clicked "Start approval"

Some blocks can be done (it this time user waiting for responce). But next step need to be approved by somebody, who can do it only tomorrow. What should i do with web request. How can i freeze approval without web timeout?

Ok, i can create windows service that cat track status and user action. It will be looks like asynchronous actions with background windows service. As i understood Persistence functions can help me with RAM and CPU resources. Ok, but what happend if server or service turned OFF? How can i continue from the last point of workflow?

For me, the approval process is good example of workflow, but i don't understand how WF 4 can help me.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The workflow engine will load the correct workflow instance when it receive the message for next step. For example, user approve step one, workflow instanced persisted, workflow service turned off, turn on the workflow service, user approve step two, workflow will continue form the last point automatically.

You refer to the following application sample:

Hiring Process

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee622985.aspx

Thanks.

Leo Tang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by LeoTang Friday, October 26, 2012 1:49 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 6:56 AM