Azure for Students - cannot create SQL Database RRS feed

• Question

• According to information below:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/free-account-students-faq/

Student's accounts should be able to create DB for free. In my case, I am asked to uprade my license and add credit card to it. I have already activated my account, so it is not the case.

How can I handle this situation?

Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can create an Azure SQL Database free for 365 days if you use PowerShell to create it and if you locate the database on a supported region:

$sqlServer = New-AzureRmSqlServer -ServerName $sqlServerName -Location $desiredLocation.Location -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup.ResourceGroupName -SqlAdministratorCredentials $sqlAdminCredential -ErrorAction Stop –Verbose

Supported regions are: australiaeast, australiasoutheast, centralindia, eastasia, francecentral, japaneast, japanwest, koreacentral, koreasouth, northcentralus, northeurope, southeastasia, southindia, uksouth, ukwest, westcentralus, westeurope, westindia and westus2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:49 PM
  • According to information below:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/free-account-students-faq/

Student's accounts should be able to create DB for free. In my case, I am asked to uprade my license and add credit card to it. I have already activated my account, so it is not the case.

How can I handle this situation?

Good day,

If I understood you correctly then the issue is not that you don't know how to create database but that you want to use the free students account in order to create free service of Azure database. 

I don't have any experience with students account and I am not sure if any of the people that come here have. You should first confirm that you actually use a free students subscription. My guess is that you created Azure Account but you did not added the students subscription, which is why you get the request to create paid subscription

It is best in this case to open a ticket in your azure account and confirm the issue directly with the support team, since they can watch you specific account while we cannot.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, August 4, 2018 7:12 PM
  • Hello mateuszmichi,

were you able to solve this issue?

I have a class of +/-25 students where 3 of them have the same issue that you reported.

They can log in to Azure, but they cannot create a Azure SQL Database. Azure asks them to upgrade their license and asks for credit card information.

I submitted a support case to Microsoft, but that didn't help me :/

greetings,

David

Friday, October 19, 2018 9:03 PM
  • Good day David,

As you can notice, unfortunately mateuszmichi did not came back to the thread and he will probably wont come to read your message (very rude in my opinion to ask something and not check and respond to the responses which you get).

Anyhow, I highly recommend to open new thread if you encounter a issue and not use an existing ole thread which you will not have control over it (for example you cannot mark an answer if you get one). Moreover, people stop follow old tread, especially when the OP do not respond.

Are you still facing the same issue?

If so then please check in the problematic accounts how many other DB they have. I have a feeling that they simply out of their limitation.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:36 AM
  • Hi David 

Yes all students can use Azure for Student http://aka.ms/azureforstudents to create a managed SQL database up to 250Gb in size see 
    azureforstudent

So when the students creates the database they get a few options of either Hosted or VM 

SQL Deployments

Another great resource is Microsoft Learn http://docs.microsoft.com/learn they have a few modules on SQL and also include a Sandbox Azure Subscription and Modules which guide students into creating a SQL Database see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/provision-azure-sql-db/ 

The Sandbox is a FREE Azure Subscription which is simply time bound. This is perfect for a blended learning approach where you want students to do a lab or tutorial Microsoft Learn modules are perfect for this.

MS Learn Sandbox

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:49 PM
  •  Hi Lee Stott,

When I follow these steps and try to create a new server, there are not any valid locations from the available list below. all of them say unavailable location. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you. 

Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:11 PM
  • To all our Azure SQL Database customers,

Please read the following communication pertaining to this ongoing issue: Our commitment to customers and Microsoft cloud services continuity 

For more updated information, Please visit our Banner Post which we will be updating regularly as we get more information or resolution for the same.

If you are in a situation where you are in an immediate need to deploy services and are being blocked in doing so, please use the Azure Portal to raise your request. 

Microsoft Azure is committed to helping our customers. We’ll continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
    Azure CXP Community Engineering

Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:25 PM