Integration of Federated search with sharepoint 2010 default search- How to RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the newer version of Sharepoint 2010, we are using federated search feature to list custom open search service results in sharepoint. This works fine, but we are unable to customize the original sharepoint search result page to host federated search result webpart in it. This page just doesn’t show up in Sharepoint Designer. While working in sharepoint 2007, we had a result.aspx page when we type something in search text box, it lands to this page and we were able to edit this page and put our own webpart to customize the search by giving .FLD file (Federated Search Results webpart), we have our own open search service running so we used it. Like wise this when we are upgrading to sharepoint 2010, it lands our search to site/layouts/OSSSearchResults.aspx page which is basically in "_layout" folder and its template file. so we are unable to integrate our Federated search results with sharepoint 2010 default search results. Could you plz. help me in this regards? How this would be done?

Shamshad Ali.

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Shamshad Ali,

It looks like you want to modify search results page for Search Center. if you have not created Search Center in your 2010 environment you will need to Create Search Center Once you have Search Center Created you will have Results.aspx page which you can edit.

If you have used Basic Search Center Template to Create Search Center then you will have site/results.aspx and if you have Enterprise Version Installed and Created Site using Enterprise Search Center Template then results page will be found in pages library.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Reagrds,

Hiran
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Actually, if you are using the search box on your home page (i.e.: search this site), you just need to make a settings change to the Site Collection Search Center.  In SharePoint 2010 it is set to "do not use custom scopes" by default.  Go to your Site Collection Settings and go to Search Settings.  Choose Enable custom scopes and specify the URL to your search center.  If you don't have a search center yet, go create one by creating a new site.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Thank you all - I already googled and found http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/john/archive/2010/05/10/sp2010-where%E2%80%99s-my-search-center.aspx
    which I followed and fixed the web part (Federated Search) result page customization. I further had a .gif when my search was doing processing, a wheel was appearing on search UI until the search finishes which was appearing in MOSS 2007 but its not showing in SP 2010. Could any one plz. guide me where should i see what is missing or require further modification somewhere in my .FLD file? which I think it should be by default in /_layouts/images/searching.gif something like that ....

Actually that is a Loading gif, for which I am looking, is that configurable?

Shamshad Ali.

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Shamshad Ali,

It looks like you want to modify search results page for Search Center. if you have not created Search Center in your 2010 environment you will need to Create Search Center Once you have Search Center Created you will have Results.aspx page which you can edit.

If you have used Basic Search Center Template to Create Search Center then you will have site/results.aspx and if you have Enterprise Version Installed and Created Site using Enterprise Search Center Template then results page will be found in pages library.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Reagrds,

Hiran
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Actually, if you are using the search box on your home page (i.e.: search this site), you just need to make a settings change to the Site Collection Search Center.  In SharePoint 2010 it is set to "do not use custom scopes" by default.  Go to your Site Collection Settings and go to Search Settings.  Choose Enable custom scopes and specify the URL to your search center.  If you don't have a search center yet, go create one by creating a new site.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Thank you all - I already googled and found http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/john/archive/2010/05/10/sp2010-where%E2%80%99s-my-search-center.aspx
    which I followed and fixed the web part (Federated Search) result page customization. I further had a .gif when my search was doing processing, a wheel was appearing on search UI until the search finishes which was appearing in MOSS 2007 but its not showing in SP 2010. Could any one plz. guide me where should i see what is missing or require further modification somewhere in my .FLD file? which I think it should be by default in /_layouts/images/searching.gif something like that ....

Actually that is a Loading gif, for which I am looking, is that configurable?

Shamshad Ali.

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:01 PM