.CER & .PFX File Formats RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

Since the ability to create certificate requests are not native capabilities in all UWP environments, I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone knows of a library, open source project that has the ability to create and sign CER files without any Windows specific APIs like Capi, or the Win32 API. 

NOTE:

1. I know there is no GitHub or open source projects thus far for UWP
    2. I'm looking for technical references on the structure of a .CER and .PFX file so that I can engineer a solution for UWP
    3. If there is a better MSDN forum to post this question too, please let me know

- Rashad Rivera www.omegusprime.com

• Changed type Rashad Rivera Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:20 AM I found what I'm looking for and need the community to contribute
    Monday, October 10, 2016 4:38 AM

All replies

• Hello all,

Since the ability to create certificate requests are not native capabilities in all UWP environments, I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone knows of a library, open source project that has the ability to create and sign CER files without any Windows specific APIs like Capi, or the Win32 API. 

• Merged by Barry Wang Friday, October 14, 2016 8:35 AM same issue
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Hi Rashad Rivera,

Welcome to the Developing Universal Windows apps forum! 

Please read the sticky posts, especially the Guide to posting: subject line tags and Known Issues for Windows 10 SDK and Tools .

You should able to use your favor search engine to search if there is some third party library and open source project to do that.

Best Regards,

Jayden Gu

Monday, October 10, 2016 10:12 AM
  • I found the RFC 5280 which describes the PEM (Privacy Enhanced Mail) format that governs how CER and PFX files are formatted.  I'll be scouring through this periodical until I understand it.  However, if anyone has a simple C++ or C# structure that describes the file format, I ask that you please post it for the communities benefit. 

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:20 AM
  • Hi Rashad Rivera,

Thank you for posting here.

About the certificate question. I would suggest you post there. The support can help us.

Best Regards,

DotNet

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:50 AM