none
project server 2010: limit project opening to "Working" store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When a user opens a project from project professional, I need to disable the working option in the box that pops up when the users click the open button from within project professional. This way, I only allow users to open published projects and not projects in the working store. What I'm trying to achieve from all of this is to hide the projects in the working store and only display the ones in the published store for the users. Is there a way to just prevent them from selecting the "Working" and just allow the "Published" to be selected?

Thanks,
    George 

Saturday, April 2, 2011 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi George,

interesting. If I try to save this read-only file, I can only save using a differnt name - since it is read-only?

So in fact you only want to hide one specific project from users? Just create a new category "No access", set a Deny for Project Managers group, select Only the projects indicated and add only this project name to the left. Not sure if you have additional requirements I am not yet aware of? This approach will hide this project from list in Open dialog for all groups. Make sure, that you have a user left to maintain ;-)

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by geo_d Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:57 AM
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi George,

you can trust in Dale, he really knows what he is talking about in his reply in Project client form: This forum is the right one, since you are asking for a Project Server Feature, even if you want to get something happen in Project client. And you can't open a project from Published Store at all in write mode. Give it a try ... Open Project client and start Open dialog. At that moment you select Published store, only Read Only mode is available, no Read/Write any longer. Moreover, if you follow this approach, how do you want this initial publish get done? If you are not allowed to open a project not published so far, how do you want to open and publish? Or do you only want to restrict a specific group?

An (awful) idea for a work around, since you are doing a lot with PSI .... Create a category up front, with a Deny for Open for Poject Managers group. When a project is saved on Project Server, add project's name to this category per code (if possible with PSI???), and remove from this list when it is published (no idea if there will have someone the permission for doing so?)

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, April 2, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

This is what happened. I tried opening the project from the published store. Although it says read-only, I was able to modify the project, save it, open it again and the changes were there. I don't really understand whats the read-only mode in this case. For the question of "if you follow this approach, how do you want this initial publish get done?", I do not want to publish the project at all. The project is supposed to be a hidden project but just a visible subproject in another parent project. I need this because this subproject should only be updated using the PSI without any user intervention. Moreover, I do not want users to know of its existence and thats why I do not want them to see it.

Regards,
    George 

Saturday, April 2, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Hi George,

interesting. If I try to save this read-only file, I can only save using a differnt name - since it is read-only?

So in fact you only want to hide one specific project from users? Just create a new category "No access", set a Deny for Project Managers group, select Only the projects indicated and add only this project name to the left. Not sure if you have additional requirements I am not yet aware of? This approach will hide this project from list in Open dialog for all groups. Make sure, that you have a user left to maintain ;-)

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by geo_d Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:57 AM
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

You are right about the read-only mode in the published store. I fell into the trap that clicking "Retrieve the list of all project from Project Server" resets the store to working and the mode to read/write. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope it can be done using the PSI.

Thanks again,
    George 

Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:27 AM
  • Hi George,

puhh, I was really wondering how you made this happen ;-).

I don't understand right now, why you do want to do this by PSI? If it is only one project, it should be sufficient to create this category manually once and add this project. You only need to make sure, that account you are using in PSI for modifying this project is not member of any groups you set a Deny for this category. Moreover, if you use this Deny-category, you can also publish this project, it will not be displayed in Project Web App to any of these group members. You have only nee to take care of one fact: Deny is stronger than any allow. So if a user is member of two groups (e.g. Administrators and Project Managers), he will not be able to see this project: Deny of PM group overwrites Allow of Admin group.

Let me know how you get one!
    Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

I want this in PSI because it is now to be done on a single project in the test environment. But for later, I may need it on so much more projects and at different times. Thats why I need it in PSI. I will try it in PSI, probably next week, and inform you what happens.

Regards,
    George 

Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Hi George,

good luck!

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:56 AM
  • Already marked as answer? Without verifying that it does work? ;-)
    Since I found AddSecurityCategoryObjectsRow, I am quite optimistic.

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:10 AM
  • I know it is possible to add a user to a group using PSI from my previous post if you remember (allowing PMs to create projects by adding them to a Temp PM group- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/9b206318-3841-4af3-aad9-27c0f6724ed8  )

This is kind of a modified version so I'm sure it will work with a little more coding effort :)

Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Hi George,

but this time you want to add a project to a specific category? This Deny-category does already exist and defines Deny for some groups (manually set up)? And users are already member of their appropriate groups?
    So when you create a new project you want to hide, just add this project to Deny category. At least that is what I tried to suggest this morning. However, if you understood something different, which does help, I am also happy ;-).

Good luck!
    Barbara

Saturday, April 2, 2011 5:35 PM