The program '[XXXX] YYYY.exe: Native' has exited with code -1073741502 (0xc0000142).

Question

• Since updating from the Win 8 Dev Preview to the Win 8 Consumer preview my Native metro app no longer starts. It's exiting with code -1073741502 (0xc0000142).

When launching from the debugger I get the following alert dialogue:

"Unable to activate Windows Metro style application 'YYYY'.

Windows was unable to communicate with the target application.  This usually indicates that the target application's process aborted. More information may be available in the Debug pane of the Output window (Debug->Windows->Output)."

I don't see any more information in the log.

Any tips for tracking down what might be causing this?

Monday, March 05, 2012 10:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Cameron,

If you are running the application built under Windows DP, it may not run under windows CP. I suggest you upgrade your project from VS 11 DP to VS11 Beta, rebuild the application and see if it works. You may need to modify the code to fit Windows 8 CP. For more information please double check the //Build to Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Regards,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:51 AM
  • We had certainly upgraded VS11 to Beta and recompiled everything. A colleague eventually found out that the app was crashing inside ntdll. A dll that was getting pulled in by some desktop code that we are in the process of removing was causing the crash.
    • Marked as answer by Yi Feng Li Friday, March 16, 2012 3:59 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Cameron,

If you are running the application built under Windows DP, it may not run under windows CP. I suggest you upgrade your project from VS 11 DP to VS11 Beta, rebuild the application and see if it works. You may need to modify the code to fit Windows 8 CP. For more information please double check the //Build to Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Regards,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:51 AM
  • We had certainly upgraded VS11 to Beta and recompiled everything. A colleague eventually found out that the app was crashing inside ntdll. A dll that was getting pulled in by some desktop code that we are in the process of removing was causing the crash.
    • Marked as answer by Yi Feng Li Friday, March 16, 2012 3:59 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:34 PM