none
Bing Spatial Data Services geocode results don't match results from bing.com/maps/ RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to geocode addresses and city centers using the Bing Spatial Data Services. I send in a batch job request and get the results back.  While analyzing the city-center geocode results I noticed that some came back with a medium confidence level and the location entity type was AdminDivision1 (i.e. state) instead of PopulatedPlace for the city.  I then did a map search on bing.com/maps/ for the same city and state, and got a good result back.  Here are some example city/state combos where this was happening:
    - Reedpoint, MT (should be Reed Point, MT but bing.com map search brought it back correctly anyway, geocode API did not find it)

- Valley Glenn, CA (should be Glenn Valley, CA but bing.com finds it, geocode API does not)

I am trying to clean up data and I know some of these addresses are not going to be correct in our system, but it concerns me that I'm not always seeing the same results between bing.com and the Spatial Data service.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:36 PM

Answers

• This is by design. The Bing.com/maps site is just another consumer of the Bing Maps controls, just like any other company web page that uses the Bing Maps control. That said, just like any other web page that consumes the Bing Maps control there are extra features and functionalities added to the page. The search functionality on the bing.com/maps page uses several different services to understand users input. Many of these services are Bing Maps services such as the Bing Maps REST geocoding service and the Point of interest data that's in the Bing Spatial Data Services. However there are some other data sources this site also uses which we are not in Bing Maps. The bing.com/maps site also uses a different set of spell checkers which appears to be making the difference in your results as your are passing in incorrectly spelled locations.

The Bing Spatial Data Services currently uses the Bing Maps SOAP services to perform it's geocoding. The SOAP service is a bit outdated and the Bing Maps REST services are much more accurate. We are looking at improving this in the future.

That said geocoders are not designed to clean address data. They are designed to take in a query and return it's corresponding coordinate. What you are looking to do requires an address validator which is specifically designed to clean address data. Using a geocoder as an address validator will almost certainly not meet your needs.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:17 AM

All replies

• This is by design. The Bing.com/maps site is just another consumer of the Bing Maps controls, just like any other company web page that uses the Bing Maps control. That said, just like any other web page that consumes the Bing Maps control there are extra features and functionalities added to the page. The search functionality on the bing.com/maps page uses several different services to understand users input. Many of these services are Bing Maps services such as the Bing Maps REST geocoding service and the Point of interest data that's in the Bing Spatial Data Services. However there are some other data sources this site also uses which we are not in Bing Maps. The bing.com/maps site also uses a different set of spell checkers which appears to be making the difference in your results as your are passing in incorrectly spelled locations.

The Bing Spatial Data Services currently uses the Bing Maps SOAP services to perform it's geocoding. The SOAP service is a bit outdated and the Bing Maps REST services are much more accurate. We are looking at improving this in the future.

That said geocoders are not designed to clean address data. They are designed to take in a query and return it's corresponding coordinate. What you are looking to do requires an address validator which is specifically designed to clean address data. Using a geocoder as an address validator will almost certainly not meet your needs.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense that the spatial data services don't have any intelligence built-in like the search tool.  Also, I guess I should have clarified my use of the service, I'm trying to geocode a bunch of our customer addresses and those that don't get a good result I am going back and reviewing those addresses, I'm not using the geocoding service as address validation.  Thanks again.
    Friday, September 14, 2012 1:26 PM