none
Why did my app require a privacy policy when it collects no information on users, sends none and retains none. Why

Question

• My program is RPGFantasyLocationNames a free application.

I received an 10.5.1 Privacy Policy non-compliant notice today.  Was it in error.

It opens a browser window to a bing Definition: url to look up words in a dictionary when the user clicks on obscure English words from lists. It saves no browser history, collects no user information whatsoever, no logins or info from user.

I do show a superfluous policy in the tools section to reassure users anyway.  I.E.

"This program does not acquire or retain any user information whatever"

I do not supply a privacy url on checkin (if its not required to be https: I can if needed)

My question are?  Does opening a browser window to a '(bing)' url require a privacy statement?

Does including one anyway create a conflict?

I have also received the cryptic 'App Policies: 10.1 Inaccurate Representation' after adding new functionality recently. I am wondering if testing on the Lumia 1520 failed. or  As I can not decode the cryptic message to developer.

I.E.

"The app category does not accurately represent the app"

The app is a RPG game and not itself a game and it clearly states in the web description in the store and in bold on  the first page that it is a tool for gamers not a game.

I has received that message in a failure 3 months ago and after I did some reformatting and also pointed out the first page, than heard no more complaint until the recent updates.

but. I am unable to test the new CPU intensive features on a small screen now, I am developing on a clean insider machine and the emulators etc. fail, So not know if I got 10.1 from a does not run  on Lumia issue or something else. As the program has evolved from one that was more weak cpu/graphics friendly in the older versions to the current form and is little silly running on a small screen now, I could remove those platforms if needed, How do I require a CPU in store checkin?

Could anyone respond to me with fails on information? That feedback would help a lot.

Thanks .

--drleho

• Edited by Saul Scudder Wednesday, November 9, 2016 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Saul,

>Does opening a browser window to a '(bing)' url require a privacy statement?Does including one anyway create a conflict?
    You’d better look into App Developer Agreement to check 4) f. Privacy Policy. Even if your app does not access, collects or transmits any personal info, other elements can also require you to have a privacy policy. You’re supposed to include it in your Store app metadata  as the publisher of the application. Since Microsoft is not responsible for any use or collection of data inconsistent with what is described in this privacy policy. Thanks for understanding.
    You might refer to this thread.

>I have also received the cryptic 'App Policies: 10.1 Inaccurate Representation' after adding new functionality recently. I am wondering if testing on the Lumia 1520 failed. or  As I can not decode the cryptic message to developer.
    Since you’re not sure about the specific reason for violating policy 10.1, you may try adding notes for certification when you resubmit your app, in which you could provide info that can ensure your app is tested correctly and you can also tell tester that your app is a tool for gamer not a game. You can even provide a hosted video to demonstrate how to test your app and that each of your app’s functionality works well.
    Another option is to use the feedback tab located in the bottom right corner of the certification report to submit your request to the testers for more info.

>How do I require a CPU in store checkin?
    As a section of property in submission in Dashboard, System requirements allow you to indicate if certain hardware features are required to run and interact with your app properly. You can indicate the appropriate option for Memory and Graphics to specify the Minimum hardware. 
    For more details, please refer to System requirements.

If you still have any other question, I'd like to suggest you to contact Dev Center support to discuss if you have other option.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:28 AM