What is the best way of handling fixed/resolved bugs with the Visual Studio Scrum 2013 process template RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering how to handle when a developer fixes/resolves a bug and want to have the bug reporter verify it.

We have previously added a 'Fixed' state to the bug Work item that comes between the 'Committed' state and 'Done' state. This was done in the Visual Studio Scrum 1.0 template, but now I can see that the Visual Studio Scrum 2013.3 still does not have a similar state.

So I am wondering if there is a better way than added the above field that I can use to avoid customizing the process template.

Tore Østergaard
    Oticon A/S, Denmark

Monday, August 25, 2014 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, the normal process is usually like: a new task has many test cases, one of the test cases fails when you test it, then you create a bug to track the defect, link the bug to the test case, and assign it to the developer. When the developer fixes the bug, and pass the test case, you can close the bug.

And the MSDN article provides us a track progress: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj920147.aspx

A typical workflow progression for PBIs and bugs follows:

• The product owner creates a PBI or a tester creates a bug in the New state with the default reason, New backlog item.

• The product owner moves the item to Approved after it is sufficiently described and ready for the team to estimate the level of effort. Most of the time, items near the top of the Product Backlog are in the Approved state, while items toward the middle and bottom are in a New state.

• The team updates the status to Committed when they decide to complete the work during the sprint.

• The item is moved to the Done state when the team has completed all its associated tasks and the product owner agrees that it has been implemented according to the Acceptance Criteria.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Cece Dong Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:01 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

Maybe you can have the developer create a new task, link to the original bug, and assign the task to the tester. If the bug is validated OK, tester can close the task.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, the normal process is usually like: a new task has many test cases, one of the test cases fails when you test it, then you create a bug to track the defect, link the bug to the test case, and assign it to the developer. When the developer fixes the bug, and pass the test case, you can close the bug.

And the MSDN article provides us a track progress: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj920147.aspx

A typical workflow progression for PBIs and bugs follows:

• The product owner creates a PBI or a tester creates a bug in the New state with the default reason, New backlog item.

• The product owner moves the item to Approved after it is sufficiently described and ready for the team to estimate the level of effort. Most of the time, items near the top of the Product Backlog are in the Approved state, while items toward the middle and bottom are in a New state.

• The team updates the status to Committed when they decide to complete the work during the sprint.

• The item is moved to the Done state when the team has completed all its associated tasks and the product owner agrees that it has been implemented according to the Acceptance Criteria.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Cece.

I see your point about the Test Case, but I have to admit that we do not use Test Cases that much, so that does not solve the issue at hand.

Tore Østergaard
    Oticon A/S, Denmark

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

Maybe you can have the developer create a new task, link to the original bug, and assign the task to the tester. If the bug is validated OK, tester can close the task.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:06 AM