none
How do I debug an Outlook Add-in? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm following the sample project on this page Build your first Outlook Add-in

It's fairly straight forward.  I'm using Visual Studio 2017.

After hitting F5 everything appears to be fine and I see the icon for the add-in appear.  When I click it I get the following message:

Are there any logs somewhere that I can look at?
    Perhaps I can set something up in my dev environment? 
    What exactly would I ask my administrator?  Would I instruct them to check for a log file?

Germán Hayles

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 10:28 PM

Answers

• One way I found was to use the Chrome Browser.

When you hit F12 you get a Developer Tools Window.  One of the lines showed

Application Cache Error event: Manifest fetch failed (404) https://outlook.office365.com/owa/manifests/appCacheManifestHandler.ashx?owamanifest=1

This eventually led me back to the MessagesRead.html.  I noticed some problems in my HTML that I quickly fixed.

I don't know if other browsers have such tools, but the Chrome Browser did the trick for me.

Germán Hayles

• Marked as answer by GermanEZI Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi

At the end of your refer link, there is one person who met the same issue, you can have a look at it.

Justin Liu Office Servers and Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 6:07 AM
  • One way I found was to use the Chrome Browser.

When you hit F12 you get a Developer Tools Window.  One of the lines showed

Application Cache Error event: Manifest fetch failed (404) https://outlook.office365.com/owa/manifests/appCacheManifestHandler.ashx?owamanifest=1

This eventually led me back to the MessagesRead.html.  I noticed some problems in my HTML that I quickly fixed.

I don't know if other browsers have such tools, but the Chrome Browser did the trick for me.

Germán Hayles

• Marked as answer by GermanEZI Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Thanks Justin,

Thanks for that.   That person and I found the problem in the same file.  However, he doesn't say HOW he reached that conclusion.  My question was more about process.  I've included my answer in this thread.

I'm still new to this area.  If you know of better ways of debugging than using Chrome, please let me know.

Thanks again for your post.

Germán Hayles

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Good for you!

Mainstream web browsers all have F12 functions.

Justin Liu Office Servers and Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 2:43 AM