none
Outlook Follow up flag reminder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The below code is not showing reminder pop up, it is showing only Follow up date on email header.

Can any one please help me how to show follow up flag reminder using Mail Message headers ?

message.Headers.Add("X-Message-Flag", "Follow up");
                    message.Headers.Add("Reply-By", String.Format("{0:ddd, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss zz}", ReplyDate));

Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The below code is not showing reminder pop up, it is showing only Follow up date on email header.

Can any one please help me how to show follow up flag reminder using Mail Message headers ?

mailMessage.Headers["X-Message-Flag"] = "Follow up";
    mailMessage.Headers["Reply-By"] = DateTime.Now.AddDays(1).ToString("ddd, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss %K");

Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Have you tried this 

email.Headers.Add("X-Message-Flag", "Follow up");
    email.Headers.Add("Reply-By", String.Format("{ddd, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss zz}", ReplyDate);

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:56 AM
  • yes still no luck, Follow up date is showing on email header but reminder pop up is not showing. 

I have used below lines of code:

message.Headers.Add("Reply-By", String.Format("{0:ddd, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss zz}", ReplyDate));

Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:25 PM
  • Hi Nagarjuna,

Thank you for posting here.

You could try the following code to use outlook api to show the reminder.

using Outlook = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook;
     Outlook.Application oApp = new Outlook.Application();
                Outlook.AppointmentItem appt = oApp.CreateItem(
            Outlook.OlItemType.olAppointmentItem)
            as Outlook.AppointmentItem;
                appt.Subject = "Wine Tasting";
                appt.Location = "Napa CA";
                appt.Sensitivity = Outlook.OlSensitivity.olPrivate;
                appt.Start = DateTime.Now.AddMinutes(2);
                appt.End = DateTime.Now.AddMinutes(20);
                appt.ReminderSet = true;
                appt.ReminderMinutesBeforeStart = 1;
                appt.Save();

The above code represents that you will receive a reminder after 1 minutes.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 2:08 AM
  • If i use Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook i think outlook should installed in machine, but my production server is not having outlook.

And also i don't want to create appointment, i should send normal email with follow up flag and reminder enabled.

Friday, August 30, 2019 5:11 AM
  • Hi 

Thanks for the feedback.

Based on my search, I could not find a way to do it without outlook API. Therefore, I have two suggestions.

First, Please install the outlook, then you could use Outlook to solve the problem by using the following code.

Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.MailItem objMailItem;
        objMailItem.FlagStatus = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlFlagStatus.olFlagMarked;
        objMailItem.FlagDueBy = BackDate;
        objMailItem.FlagIcon = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlFlagIcon.olRedFlagIcon;
        objMailItem.FlagRequest = "Follow Up";
        objMailItem.ReminderSet = true;
        objMailItem.ReminderPlaySound = true;

Second, I suggest that you could look for ways on Outlook for Developers forum.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hi Nagarjuna Maddela,

Thank you for posting here.

>>but reminder pop up is not showing. 

Could you provide more details or some code about 'X-Message-Flag' and 'reminder pop up' ?

We are waiting for your update.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support

Friday, August 30, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Update, I have not seen any working solution for this. Seems working the headers as per what has been presented did work at one time via SMTP but things changed in Outlook that prevents this from working unless using Office Automation (example) or a third party library. I have no code samples, personally I use a third party library for setting this flag.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, August 30, 2019 11:52 AM
  • I have to send normal email with follow up flag and reminder enabled, using SMTP and MailMessage class.

Out look email --> Message --> Follow Up--> Custom --> Flag for Recipients --> Reminder

I used below lines of code, but it is not working.

message.Headers.Add("Reply-By", String.Format("{0:ddd, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:szz}", ReplyDate));

Friday, August 30, 2019 4:03 PM