Interpreting Netmon capture of usb audio transfer RRS feed

• Question

• Please bear with me, as I'm a simple retired audio engineer trying to find why things don't work on Win7.

I have traced a bunch of events around the onset of a data transfer failure, and have a clear pattern before and after the failure. My question is how do I go about interpreting the data to point towards the cause.

The problem, which I have asked about extensively elsewhere, is that I am testing several usb 1.1 devices on a recent AMD-based dual core laptop transferring audio to asio-based audio editing applications. The laptop audio is fine if I place a usb 2 hub between the machine and the audio interface or if I use a usb2 audio interface. But the interesting situation which I can reproduce at will is as follows...

Open Windows Control Panel->Sound and select the recording tab. Play audio, which plays OK. Select the Playback tab and sound goes all choppy or buried in crackles. This can be seen via xperf as a change from steady TRANSFER to SELECT_INTERFACE  and CONTROL_TRANSFER messages with small blocks of transfer between. Without the control panel window open, the fault is there all the time. If I disable the on-board Realtek audio, the fault is there all the time irrespective of the windows open. I have logged all this but there don't seem to be many error messages. I am also not sure that the problem is with actual usb or whether there are commands being passed to the usb hardware in the chipset that it can't handle.

The problem occurs with both 32 and 64-bit Win 7, and does not appear on an Intel-based Win 7 laptop. I have also poked around with Procmon and Process Explorer, but not found anything. All drivers are the current Win7 ones, and I am now working on the permanent 64-bit Win7 Pro on the machine.

Can anyone suggest how best to learn how to interpret the data or where else to try to diagnose and what with?

Sunday, August 8, 2010 5:17 PM

All replies

• Gosh, it's difficult dealing with so many replies. :-)

I suspect I need to discover what commands are being sent by Win 7 to the usb part of the chipset when different tabs are selected in a Window. Is it possible to use ETW for this? Is there a simple guide anywhere to help me?

Friday, August 13, 2010 8:39 AM
  • I'm afraid I'm still here and still haven't found a guide basic enough for me to understand.

I have a printout of the log 'hooks' in the machine such as Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB and can see the results from these via logman & Netmon or via xperf, but some events don't seem to display in xperf. For example Microsoft-Windows- User-ControlPanel.

How do I find what will display and what won't?

Secondly, is there a simple way of looking for the results of trying to log each of these events using logman? I assume that Netmon, which is fine for the usb events can only display streams of data.  I have produced a huge XML output or two, but there must be a simpler way. Should I produce a huge csv file and then search through that? I'm trying to find what event coincides with the usb failure.

An example of someone doing something like this would be marvellous, but anything to reduce the time I'm spending thrashing around would help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:50 PM