"Task has been changed" Email Alert RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

All our users received "Task has been changed" email alert for all the tasks that were already completed. We also noticed in the task list that all the tasks are being modified by one account which is impossible since there are thousand of tasks being modified at the same time. What we did is we disabled "Task has been changed" email alert using Sharepoint manager and we deleted the user who is modifying the tasks. Now, sharepoint seems to stop sending task has been changed email alert. I just want to ask, what might be the possible cause of this? Why are "task has been changed" email alerts being sent when the tasks are not really modified? Please help. 

Thank you :) 

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:54 AM

Answers

• Hi E-M,

As you said, when you deleted the user, all tasks are now modified by "System Account". So, this is not the normal. "There is some reasons to modify the task list item date to current date, lead to modify all items, caused the mail was sent." this is only my guess.I guess the task date was modified.

So,now you find some errors in log, this is may be some web part or event handler have some errors. when you delete user, it will update the all task list. My be some business logic in web part or event handler have the update action.you are also ensure there is no time job update your task list.

Now you must ensure which feather failed to determine definition and fix it.this is may be the main reson.

Thanks,
    Jack

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi E-M,

The biggest disadvantage of SharePoint Task Lists is that they send "Task has been changed" mail whenever a task list item is changed. Even if you don't change the item, then also on the creation of the task the user get two mails. One is "Task is assigned" and the other is "Task has been changed". When you delete the user who are modifying the task, may be caused some abnormal operation. So, the “Task has been changed” mail was sent. There is some reasons to modify the task list item date to current date, lead to modify all items, caused the mail was sent.

You’d better check the log file(C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS)

Thanks,

Jack

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for helping! :)

The "Task has been changed" mails were sent even before we deleted the user. So that could not be the problem. When we deleted the user, all tasks are now modified by "System Account".

"There is some reasons to modify the task list item date to current date, lead to modify all items, caused the mail was sent." - Could you please explain this idea further?

I checked the log file the error is "Failed to determine definition for feature with ID: ****". I'm not sure if this is really related to email alert problem. 

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Hi E-M,

As you said, when you deleted the user, all tasks are now modified by "System Account". So, this is not the normal. "There is some reasons to modify the task list item date to current date, lead to modify all items, caused the mail was sent." this is only my guess.I guess the task date was modified.

So,now you find some errors in log, this is may be some web part or event handler have some errors. when you delete user, it will update the all task list. My be some business logic in web part or event handler have the update action.you are also ensure there is no time job update your task list.

Now you must ensure which feather failed to determine definition and fix it.this is may be the main reson.

Thanks,
    Jack

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:11 AM