Learning code... Java C# & PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, hopefully this question doesn't make anyone want to punch me in the face...

I've started to learn Java this week, I was wondering about whether I would be better off to learn C#. I ask this because I'm also playing about with PowerShell, and wasn't sure if I would have more focus learning the two in conjunction or not. As this is the first time I am learning programming. 

Cheers :)

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:37 PM

Answers

• It all depends on your platform choice, both are object orient programming language, you choose which platform you want to work on . If you want to be on Microsoft platform then learn c# other wise you see other option. 

Mark ANSWER if this reply resolves your query, If helpful then VOTE HELPFUL
    INSQLSERVER.COM Mohammad Nizamuddin

• Marked as answer by Eason_H Wednesday, January 1, 2014 2:12 AM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Both Java and C# target the same application development market. Thus programmers who know either Java or C# are walking on the same career path. Because Java supports multiple OS environments, Java programmers have wider choice in career growth. For those who program C# only, their job opportunities are limited to Windows environment only.

Please mark as answer, if you find this post helpful. Thanks Deepak Kalra

• Proposed as answer by Deepak Kalra Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Davy Dai Friday, December 27, 2013 1:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Davy Dai Friday, December 27, 2013 1:53 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:22 AM
  • It all depends on your platform choice, both are object orient programming language, you choose which platform you want to work on . If you want to be on Microsoft platform then learn c# other wise you see other option.

Both Java and C# target the same application development market. Thus programmers who know either Java or C# are walking on the same career path. Because Java supports multiple OS environments, Java programmers have wider choice in career growth. For those who program C# only, their job opportunities are limited to Windows environment only.

• Proposed as answer by Nitikesh iter Friday, December 27, 2013 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason_H Wednesday, January 1, 2014 2:11 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 2:13 PM
  • @Sohan D Ace, are you retarded? don't copy/paste and glue sentences together and finally propose it as an answer when you didn't even wrote a single line!

@OP,

This was kind of why I asked the question initially - I was wondering if learning C# would allow more focus as there would be more shared elements with other thing's that I might want to be doing in stuff such as PowerShell...

Well, I don't think that knowing C# will make you better because the only thing it shares with PowerShell is the .NET framework and when you use PowerShell a lot of times it's better and easier to use Cmdlets than getting down into the framework and call things directly, however, nonetheless knowing C# will help you learn the framework so having this knowledge can certainly be of an help.

I'm pretty biased so I'd tell you what you should do, you should definitely learn C# haha... :)

Regards,

Eyal Shilony

• Edited by Eyal Solnik Friday, December 27, 2013 6:41 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 6:18 PM

All replies

Mark ANSWER if this reply resolves your query, If helpful then VOTE HELPFUL
    INSQLSERVER.COM Mohammad Nizamuddin

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Both Java and C# target the same application development market. Thus programmers who know either Java or C# are walking on the same career path. Because Java supports multiple OS environments, Java programmers have wider choice in career growth. For those who program C# only, their job opportunities are limited to Windows environment only.

Please mark as answer, if you find this post helpful. Thanks Deepak Kalra

• Proposed as answer by Deepak Kalra Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Davy Dai Friday, December 27, 2013 1:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Davy Dai Friday, December 27, 2013 1:53 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:22 AM
  • hmm, well Java work's on Windows as well as others so I'm not sure if I'm following your answer exactly... The question was relating to the learning process rather than the final application but thanks. 
    Friday, December 27, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Both Java and C# target the same application development market. Thus programmers who know either Java or C# are walking on the same career path. Because Java supports multiple OS environments, Java programmers have wider choice in career growth. For those who program C# only, their job opportunities are limited to Windows environment only

C# developers can use Mono and Xamarin in addition to .NET. :)

@OP, you should start with either one of these languages, the language is just the tool you write software with so it doesn't matter with what you write it as long as you can deliver the product on time! because time really equals money.

Once you have a fully working application written in either one of these languages you can move on to the next one.

Don't learn few things at the same time, focus! I'd even say keep on learning the same language until you build your first working, useful application.

Regards,

Eyal Shilony

• Edited by Eyal Solnik Friday, December 27, 2013 4:37 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 4:36 AM
  • Don't learn few things at the same time, focus! "

This was kind of why I asked the question initially - I was wondering if learning C# would allow more focus as there would be more shared elements with other thing's that I might want to be doing in stuff such as PowerShell...

Cheers Eyal

Friday, December 27, 2013 1:44 PM

Both Java and C# target the same application development market. Thus programmers who know either Java or C# are walking on the same career path. Because Java supports multiple OS environments, Java programmers have wider choice in career growth. For those who program C# only, their job opportunities are limited to Windows environment only.

• Proposed as answer by Nitikesh iter Friday, December 27, 2013 2:13 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 2:13 PM
  • @Sohan D Ace, are you retarded? don't copy/paste and glue sentences together and finally propose it as an answer when you didn't even wrote a single line!

@OP,

Well, I don't think that knowing C# will make you better because the only thing it shares with PowerShell is the .NET framework and when you use PowerShell a lot of times it's better and easier to use Cmdlets than getting down into the framework and call things directly, however, nonetheless knowing C# will help you learn the framework so having this knowledge can certainly be of an help.

I'm pretty biased so I'd tell you what you should do, you should definitely learn C# haha... :)

Regards,

Eyal Shilony

• Edited by Eyal Solnik Friday, December 27, 2013 6:41 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 6:18 PM